Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

PS4 DNS issues

I recently bought a PS4 and although I have strong signal from my router and have no issues signing in online, during games it disconnects me. On the errors menu it says this is a DNS error and make sure the right DNS numbers are typed in. I’ve gone down the routes PlayStation have advised but still no luck! 

Has anyone had this before and can it be solved? no other items disconnect from the same router I.E phone, laptop, iPad ?   

any suggestion would be greatly appreciated 

thanks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS4 DNS issues

I think the "DNS error" is a more generic lost connection sort of error.  Sony consoles are infamous for not always giving helpful error messages.  If there was genuinely an issue with the DNS setting on your PS 4 you wouldn't be able to login to PSN at all.

Best to try a test with the PS4 connected via an Ethernet cable in order to first establish if this is a PS4/PSN connectivity issue or a wireless connectivity issue.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Scott, I’ve played a couple of games via Ethernet cable and so far so good. After speaking with virgin they advised me that my issue may be because I’m on the hub 2 and they’d send me out a hub 3 which may work with my PlayStation wirelessly. In your experience is this likely? 

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Ratcatcher500 wrote:

Thanks Scott, I’ve played a couple of games via Ethernet cable and so far so good. After speaking with virgin they advised me that my issue may be because I’m on the hub 2 and they’d send me out a hub 3 which may work with my PlayStation wirelessly. In your experience is this likely? 

Hard to say for sure.  Everybody's wireless environment is different due to different house layouts and surrounding wireless signals.  Some people are happy with the Hub 3's wireless and some are not. 

Personally I have not used the wireless on the Hub 3 as I have always preferred to use my own wireless router and just have my VM hub in mode mode.  This is in part historical as I stared with cable broadband back when all you got was a modem and wireless was your responsibility, so it was what I was used to. More recently it is because I like having the control, features and better performance that a third party router provides over the VM hub.

While it is possible to game with wireless, I have always had my consoles wired and most experts recommend Ethernet for gaming.  Even if you can get a stable wireless connection you always get more latency than with Ethernet due to the way the wireless technology works.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks mate 

I’ll try the new hub when it comes but as long as it works with the Ethernet cable I’m more than happy. 

thanks for your time