Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

PC gaming NAT issues on Hub 3.0

Evening all,

I've spent the better half of the last two days trying to sort out my NAT type (from moderate to open) on my PC with little to no success. Things I've tried so far include:

• Static IP address: No change
  • Port forwarding: All the recommended ones except 53 because I can't: moderate NAT
  • DMZ: Tried to set that up: moderate NAT
  • Switching uPnP off and on again
  • Wired connection to hub: moderate NAT
  • Disabling router firewall: moderate NAT
  • Disabling router firewall & Norton TV firewall: Open NAT temporarily
  • Re-enabling Norton TV firewall: Strict NAT
  • Re-enabling router firewall: Strict NAT
  • Re-setting everything back to normal: Moderate NAT

All attempts include restarting computer and router

I've been round in circles too many times now and have kind of lost what I need to be doing to fix this.The port forwards are still set up and I'm basing whether I have the correct NAT setting on the windows settings page:

Settings>Gaming>Xbox Networking>Xbox Live multiplayer NAT type

Occasionally I also get the "Teredo is unable to qualify" script which tends to disappear if I check my NAT type again or hit the "fix it button in the settings.

Does anyone have any other recommendations? Anyone familiar with Norton TV or any interaction between the Norton & router firewalls?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: PC gaming NAT issues on Hub 3.0

You could get a better NAT if you get your own router with 1Gb ports and have the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BQM, Test for outgoing ports and L2TP VPN test
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Athollian,

I am a Virgin Technician and due to the COVID-19 I am self-isolating :(, I am unable to help customers in person and so i am available to help others with my personal experience gained from years of solving many complex service and installations jobs.

I could do a diagnostic for you if you wish? Pm me and i can try to help further.

If I've helped in any way, please give me Kudos.

Kind regards,

Virgin Media Field Technician.

Afshin

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'm not against buying a better router so long as it solves the issue.

But can I rule the issue down to the router? I'm concerned it has something to do the multiple firewalls from Norton & the router and I'm not sure that a new router would fix that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I found the UPnP on the SH3 to be terrible. But i am glad to say my ASUS does it a whole lot better, on PC and PS4. I am on NAT 2 for both.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Athollian wrote:

I'm not against buying a better router so long as it solves the issue.

But can I rule the issue down to the router? I'm concerned it has something to do the multiple firewalls from Norton & the router and I'm not sure that a new router would fix that.

@Athollian Put the hub into modem mode and connect just your gaming PC, this will show you what is achievable without the Hub 3's infamous routing in the way.  If this gives you the desired result then a good third party router should solve the issue.  If it does not work then the issue lies with something on the PC (probably Norton) as in modem mode you are getting unfettered access direct to the Internet.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos