Menu
Dannym86
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Open coax cable (rabbit chewing)

This is clearly not safe I know I have disconnected it ..would virgin supply me a new cable or is it easier just going to Amazon 

also my rabbit is in naughty jail 😜

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Open coax cable (rabbit chewing)

its not unsafe as there is no voltage going through the cable - it may allow noise into the system so should be replaced - going to amazon is not the correct action as only VM supplied cables can be used - see the T & C's

wait for VM to get to the thread they will book a tech to sort it

Tony
0 Kudos
ToffeeSurprise
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Using third party cable would be in violation of your contract with Virgin Media, as it's their property and using unapproved cable without the correct shielding has the potential to add noise / interference to the network.

If the external cable is damaged, Virgin would repull the cable, though you would probably get charged for the engineer call out to pull a new cable.

If it's an internal cable being run from the wall socket, they could probably pop a new one in the post for you.

Best bet is to wait for one of the reps to pop by who can assist.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You shouldn't be charged for replacing the cable, as discussed it's VM's property, and their job to either replace it at their own expense or have it insured.  Wait for the forum staff to advise, but if there's any of the nonsense about "you need to pay £99 for a non-fault call out" then don't pay it, PM me, there's various other ways of getting this fixed.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Sasha_W
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Morning @Dannym86

Welcome to the forum page and thanks for posting this. 

Sorry to hear that you rabbit chewed through your cable! I hope the rabbit is okay 😞 

Honestly my cat is so naughty with the wires, need to get them some food to distract them! 

I will pop you over a PM so we can go through some checks to get this sorted. 

At the top right hand corner of your screen you should see a purple envelope, if you could click on that, that will take you to PM's. 

Thanks 

🙂 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide