Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Online Gaming massive ping spikes

Hi there,

I have been having problems with latency and massive ping spikes of up to 1k in the last couple of months when online gaming. I have done several ping tests and they all show this to be true.

Unfortunately i'm unable to use an ethernet cable as I live with other flatmates and my room is poorly situated to have an cable running around the flat. We do however have M200 Fibre broadband and I would have thought this would have been good enough to get a stable connection especially since my other flatmates don't use up much wifi themselves other than streaming Netflix every now and then. I make sure the router is on a surface and isn't blocked but this doesn't seem to help.

Is there anything I can do to make my experience more bearable as I might as well change my provider if the speed is basically going to be the same as theirs even if it isn't advertised as such but at a much cheaper price.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Online Gaming massive ping spikes

How far away from your device is the router? If it is not in the same room as the device having the issues then I would connect to the 2.4 Ghz WiFi band, as this is optimized for range and stability, with more of a focus on lower latency
-------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Science and Networking graduate
Long time end user of Cable broadband internet solutions within the UK
Trained telecommunications Home Broadband Complaints handling and Tech 2 support agent (Professionally, but not employed by Virgin Media)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. It's really not that far away, I would say about 5 metres, it's just my room is adjacent to the living room where the router is but I keep both doors open for it to flow through. I have tried disabling 5Ghz and only going on 2.4 but it doesn't seem to work. If anything, it's even worse as I guess there is more traffic?

Thanks,

Jack

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Connect with a cable to the hub.

Wifi speeds and connectivity is not guaranteed and as such does not from a part of any cancellation clauses. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos