Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Online Gaming - Poor Experience to Date

Hi there,

I would really appreciate some support here as Virgin's Customer Support via phone is disgraceful.

I have been with Virgin well over a year and whenever I dust off my PS4 the gameplay is delayed. I have tried all the usually steps - Modem Mode, DMZ, POrt Forwarding (although i'm unsure the ports even opened!) etc. without any joy. Gameplay offline is fine, i only have issues online. SO the issue is not the PS4 of any hardware my side.

I primarily play FIFA & COD, although FIFA appears to be the worst; perhaps as any delay is far more noticable than on COD. I have the full green bars when playing FIFA, but it clearly means nothing.

A strange thing i noticed recently is that when i run network test one after another on my PS4, the upload speed will be like 2mbps, 30mbps, 20mbps. Its all over the place in the space of 30-45secs. Could this be an issue? As my problem is input delay, perhaps linked to upload speed?

See below Broadband Quality monitoring from a typical day. I can't really see much of a problem here, but would welcome someone with more knowledge to comment. The Red is when i switched to try Modem Mode.

I'm at my whits end with it and recently renewed my contract completely forgetting how poor the online gaming experience was.BQM.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Online Gaming - Poor Experience to Date

Your BQM image has been rejected as it contains your WAN IP address which is against the forum rules to protect your privacy.  If you use the share options on the BQM page you can share your graph safely without showing your IP address.

I have no issues gaming online with my PS4, although I don't play COD or Fifa and I use the hub in modem mode and my own router.  Have you experienced issues with any non EA games?

The speed test built into the PS4 (and the PS3 before it) is notorious for not reflecting the speed of your connection.  If I test on my PC it shows full speed consistently, but the PS4 never does.  That is a Sony issue not a VM one.  Try testing speeds in the PS4 web browser, in my experience it still doesn't show full speed but the results are usually better and more consistent than the Sony speed test.  Not all speed test sites work in the PS4 browser, although more work now then a few years ago.  I found this speed test that works well on the PS4 browser: http://testmy.net/multithread  (be sure to pick the London test server as USA servers will be much slower).

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos