Menu
Mayes9815
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ongoing Latency issues - looking for an update

Hi, been having awful latency problems for most of 2020. I've had 4 engineers over, none have been able to fix it despite having every cable and piece of hardware replaced in the house. The last one said that the only way to get it solved would be to have the cable from the cabinet into the house replaced as its over 19 years old. I was told he would talk to his manager about it but I haven't been able to get any update since. (This was in November). I understand people probably wouldn't be working over Christmas but now its the new year I'm after an update on the situation.

This is what by bqm looks like most days:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/39138017c1f8e99f5f0a7fb1b79cbca663...

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ongoing Latency issues - looking for an update

The reason the field technicians can't fix this is because it's not a "fault" as such, but a capacity problem.

The BQM shows a typical over-utilisation pattern, meaning more traffic than VM's local network can handle. You can choose to believe whether this is Covid related, or whether VM simply sell contracts until (and indeed after) the local network is at capacity, but the outcome is the same for now.

Nothing you can do to improve matters. In some areas VM do indeed undertake work to rejig the local networks to balance loads and eliminate over-utilisation. But sometimes/often that's either not possible, or judged uneconomic if there's a need to spend money on more equipment. And sadly VM won't ever admit the truth, so there will be a fault reference and a "fix date", but there's no way of knowing if that fix date is actually backed by an actual plan of action and programme of works. Quite often it seems not, and as the fix date approaches it is simply moved a month or two ahead, with a "rinse and repeat" after that. Your options:

1) Sit it out, and hope that either VM do carry out improvement works. There's little or nothing you can do to force VM to upgrade the network, nor to be honest about the outlook.

2) Get yourself a new ISP. If you're in a fixed term contract you'll probably have to use the VM complaints process (and almost certainly escalate for arbitration at CISAS ) to be released from contract without penalty. If you need to do this, the grounds of your complaint is the poor performance, and your request fro release from contract without penalty is twofold: First the Consumer Rights Act 2015 that requires any consumer service to be provided with "reasonable skill and care", and second, the Ofcom Fairness Commitments, that states Customers’ services work as promised, reliably over time. If things go wrong providers give a prompt response to fix problems and take appropriate action to help their customers, which may include providing compensation where relevant. If providers can’t fix problems with core services they have promised to deliver within a reasonable period, customers can walk away from their contract with no penalty.

I'm sorry to bring you that bad news.  If you do choose to cut your losses and get a new ISP, at least consider the smaller, customer focused ISPs such as Xen Internet, AAISP, Aquiss, uno, IDNet and CIX.  And whoever you choose, read customer reviews on Trustpilot and ISPReview before committing.  As another poster regularly says, these sites can be whinger's charters, on the other hand that's true for all companies.  Read VM's reviews, see if that's something you recognise.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Mayes9815
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. I also thought it was due to overutilization but was told multiple times it wasn't or that there were no reports in my area so have never been given a fix date. I would have switched years ago but vm are the only company to offer fibre to my address so I have no choice unfortunately. I'm considering trying out 5g but there's no guarantee that'll be any good either.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Well, the term "fibre" is applied to all manner of stuff, in reality all that counts is if you have a connection that's fast enough for your needs, has low latency and is reliable.  Openreach may offer slower speeds, but there's no benefit in a 500 Mbps connection if the latency makes it unusable.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Jakeyboy90
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

VM is a joke I joint them last year may 2020 and I haven’t been able to play any games online and every time I call them they tell me “there working on improving the network and this is due to finish next week” this so called work has been pushed a week every week for almost a year. It’s just a lie they tell you. I even lied to them and said my internets not working and I’ve done everything to try fix it and the woman on the phone tells me the networks down in my area which was another lie, the real reason was because I ripped my router out the wire and through it out the window 

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
chatmandu
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Jakeyboy90 wrote:

VM is a joke I joint them last year may 2020 and I haven’t been able to play any games online and every time I call them they tell me “there working on improving the network and this is due to finish next week” this so called work has been pushed a week every week for almost a year. It’s just a lie they tell you. I even lied to them and said my internets not working and I’ve done everything to try fix it and the woman on the phone tells me the networks down in my area which was another lie, the real reason was because I ripped my router out the wire and through it out the window 

Have you raised an official complaint? 

Check out the webarchive and find what they were promising when you signed up - 'Game like a pro' was the promise they made to me. 

I did a quick check for May and they were specifically mentioning lag and jitter in their adverts at that time. 

chatmandu_0-1611239708100.png

Raise a complaint based upon the service you're receiving vs what was promised. If you haven't already done it, set up a ping monitor with thinkbroadband.com and gather data. You may need it, if your complaint is escalated to arbitration or OFCOM. 

0 Kudos
meccu19
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Can i see your graph, want to compare with mine

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hey @meccu19,

Are you having any issues with your connection that need to be looked into at all?

Regards,

Steven_L

0 Kudos
meccu19
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I want to see bqm graph to compare mine 🙂 I don't like my gaming latency
0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to us @meccu19.

Would you be able to post your graph here?

Regards,

Steven_L

0 Kudos