Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Not getting speed in sons bedrooms

My two sons are complaining that the speed they're getting in their bedrooms is too slow. They each have a powerline adaptor. When they connect computer direct into router their download speed is amazing. How can we solve this? We have highest broadband speed available 350mbps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Not getting speed in sons bedrooms

Hi, have you downloaded the Virgin Media connect app? This app helps identify WiFi dead spots , gives tips and tricks of how to improve WiFi coverage, and you are able to order WiFi boosters through the app also. I hope this helps. Thanks, Marty

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@janiceotterson4 wrote:

My two sons are complaining that the speed they're getting in their bedrooms is too slow. They each have a powerline adaptor. When they connect computer direct into router their download speed is amazing. How can we solve this? We have highest broadband speed available 350mbps.

What is the make and model of the powerline adapters? Not many adapters will give the full 350Mbs that you can get direct from the hub.  Most advertise unrealistic theoretical speeds that are not achievable in the real world.  The speeds are also limited by the wiring in your house and plugging the adapters into an extension rather than straight into the wall will slow them down.

Just checking, are they connected to the adapters via Ethernet?  Ethernet will always get the best speed.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes I've got the app, it says WiFi is great in each room although it's not. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The adaptors are TP link AV500 connected by ethernet cables. We kind of thought it might be the wiring in the house but was just looking for alternatives to running wires all round the house. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@janiceotterson4 wrote:

The adaptors are TP link AV500 connected by ethernet cables. We kind of thought it might be the wiring in the house but was just looking for alternatives to running wires all round the house. 

According to the TP-Link web site those adapters only have 10/100Mbps Ethernet ports:

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/powerline/tl-wpa4226kit/#specifications

So you won't get speeds above 100Mbps via Ethernet as that is the limit of the hardware.  To get faster you would need adapters with 10/100/1000Mbps ports also known as gigabit ports.  Even then it could still be the electrical wiring slowing the speeds.  Powerline adapters are a great alternative to WiFi for better stability but not really designed for speed.

EDIT - Here is a quote from a review of that adapter:

"Our testing showed that the kit achieved an 85Mbps read speed and 81Mbps write speed when transferring a 2GB file. This is a far cry from the potential 500Mbps stated on the box, but is consistent with real-world usage seen on similar devices."

https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/network/90464-tp-link-av500-powerline-ac-wi-fi-kit/?page=2

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

How would you set this up then?

The router is in the living room, their bedrooms are upstairs. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Personally I would run Ethernet cables from the router to the bedrooms or a single cable upstairs to an Ethernet switch that then feeds the bedrooms.  I appreciate that is not easy or practical for most people, but you did ask how I would set it up.  It is the best way to ensure the speeds upstairs are the same as downstairs.

However if I was forced to stick with powerline adapters then I'd buy better ones that at least had gigabit Ethernet ports and were capable of faster speeds between the adapters.  There are powerline adapters reviews here:

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/best-powerline-adapters-3490638/

These two will be faster than the ones you currently have, but the real world tests in these reviews suggest you are unlikely to get 350Mbps speeds unless the adapters are in the same room which is pointless:

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/powerline-adapters/tp-link-av1000-gigabit-powerline-ac-wi-fi-ki...

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/powerline-adapters/tp-link-av2000-powerline-starter-kit-review-...

A third option is to get a better wireless router and put the hub into modem mode.  This could provide better wireless coverage for your house but doesn't guarantee speeds or stability like Ethernet as it could be prone to interference.  I'd also never recommend wireless for gaming as it will have more lag than a wired connection.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, you've been very helpful