Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 38
Flag for a moderator

New Customer - Looking to leave asap due to higher latency...

New Customer - Looking to leave asap due to higher latency:

Previously we used to be on BT 76meg fibre optic, we had pings of 80ms on games servers that were in USA, New York. 

Now our ping has gone up to 107ms with 350meg Virgin Fibre Optic.

In fact all latency on all games have gone up.

We simply do not want the service anymore after just being a customer for 2 months.

Can someone advise me on how we can change back to our previous provider as this service is simply inadequate and very 2nd rate compared to BT or EE.

Also the fact that over 4 of our family friends have changed within the 1st year back to other providers is simply alarming.

Fibre optic is meant to be low latency and smooth, it simply has become turbulent and inadequate since we upgraded to Virgin from BT and EE.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Customer - Looking to leave asap due to higher latency...

You would need to pay off your contract if you want to leave.  Virgin make no garuntee about latency and it's normal for virgin to have a higher latency than FTTC due to the way docsis works

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Fibre always has higher latency than adsl, 27 thousands of a second won't get you out of a contract

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 38
Flag for a moderator

I had Fibre on BT and on EE and both were below 80ms to New York and less than 11ms on Speedtest.

Now on Speedtest my latency is 23ms and the lowest is 17ms on FIBRE 350 and to New York my ping is 107ms.

My service has been downgraded basically since i moved over from BT/EE 76meg fibre.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 38
Flag for a moderator

What did virgin guarantee you about latency 

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 38
Flag for a moderator

The cynic in me has to ask-

If you give a flying monkey frat about latency, why are you connecting to NA servers?

And you do get that latency is pretty much irrelevant? Jitter IS a problem...Whats jitter looking like?

Use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 38
Flag for a moderator

@dannylau wrote:

Fibre always has higher latency than adsl, 27 thousands of a second won't get you out of a contract

Fibre latency is much lower than ADSL. In fact a true fibre connection like Hypertopic or GIgaclear will have latency in single figures to a nearby servers. But Virgin Media (and BT/Sky etc) are rarely true fibre and involve copper or coaxial between the street cabinet and the home. 

The latency on DOCSIS connections (cable, like Virgin Media) isn't as good as DSL (like BT) but 107ms to the USA isn't terrible.

Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 8 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Why are some people assuming that the OP had an ADSL BT connection when they clearly said "we used to be on BT 76meg fibre optic"?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 38
Flag for a moderator

@hammic wrote:

Why are some people assuming that the OP had an ADSL BT connection when they clearly said "we used to be on BT 76meg fibre optic"?

I said earlier FTTC has better latency than docsis 3.0

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 38
Flag for a moderator

I was told by the saleswoman and by another salesman in a Virgin store that my ping would be lower than BT or EE if i got a 350 meg fibre to the house connection, hence why i upgraded, well it seems like i downgraded.

The reason i was connecting to a New York Server was because the game that i play only has one server and that is in New York, all European players connect to it also. On BT/EE i would get 80ms to 84ms at the highest, on Virgin 350 meg i get 107ms to 115ms.

However even when i have tried the other games that i play, that do have UK and European servers, my ping has been higher by quite a bit.

On Speedtest i was getting 11ms on BT/EE Fibre 76meg and on Virgin 350 meg fibre i am getting 17ms to 23ms.

I really feel that i was missold this product just so the member of staff could get her his commission. I was also told that Virgin Fibre would beat BT or EE because its straight into the house from the cabinet rather than BT/EE using some copper line, which again was another sales malpractice.

To conclude, i was also given a cheaper price per month for my package which was unlimited phone and fibre, however after the first month the price of the package was all wrong, the discounts were not added and it was a nightmare to get it all sorted as the customer service is terrible to communicate with and i had to wait on the line for a long time.

When i was with BT/EE it was instant and EE answered straight away with someone who could understand me.

0 Kudos