Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

NAT Type: Moderate to Open

Hi,

I'm trying to run a server for a game (Ark Survival Evolved) on my new PC where my friends can join via the xbox. For some reason I can join but my friends can't. I've had a look through the internet and my NAT type could well be the reason in that it is showing as Moderate. I want to change this to Open but no matter what I do it doesn't change.

I've ensured UPnP is Enabled, DMZ is enabled with a static IP address, I've tried forwarding ports that I believe are associated with the game...I'm running out of options.

Does anyone know if I'm missing something? Whether this is something to do with the router/any firewalls/Norton security??

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Matt

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: NAT Type: Moderate to Open

Hi Matt

A test with the VM hub in modem mode would show if it is the router part of the hub that is causing your issue or something running on your PC.  In modem mode all traffic is sent to a single Ethernet connected device, so if it gives you the result you want then the issue lies with the hub.  If it does not give you the result you want then the issue lies with your PC.

Be aware that in your quest for an "open" NAT you could be exposing your PC to the Internet without the usual protections that a "moderate" NAT provides.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: NAT Type: Moderate to Open

Thanks Scott,

I will give it a try tomorrow.

Muchly appreciative of your response.