Menu
BlackMonk30
Dialled in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

My area is over subscribed / utilized - Attention VM Staff

I have been having issues with high ping spikes / latency at peak times now since around Oct, this is affecting online gaming causing games to lag . After many hours of research, speaking to people on forums and speaking to a number of your technicians on chat my issues haven’t been resolved and still accruing, getting worse in fact.

After researching about the HUB 3, its seems my hubs stats (upstream and downstream levels) are  good and within Spec, there is no issues with my home network set up either. My console is connected via Ethernet and I’ve tried all cables, CAT5E, CAT6, CAT 7 and CAT8, which I have spent my own money to try and resolve the connection.

I have tried Rebooting the Hub, Factory resetting the hub with your guys several times, please don’t ask me to do this again and this isn’t the issue.

After hours of research, I would personally say the issue is with your network in my area being over capacity / utilized, I believe this is something that can’t be easy fixed /  or can’t be fixed as it costs you a lot of money.

Where do we go from here ?????

Please see my typical BQM,  Broadband Quality Graphs below, this is more or less every day,  there is Clearly an issue.

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: My area is over subscribed / utilized - Attention VM Staff

Your analysis and conclusions appear to me to be correct.

Where you go from here depends on what you want.  As you've probably read in my other posts, you can wait it out and hope it resolves itself when we get back to some sense of normality (3-6 months?), or you can try another ISP and leave VM if the new service is acceptable.  

If you're in a fixed term contract and you want to leave then it's formal complaint and probably escalation to CISAS to get released.  VM sometimes allow "over-utilised" customers to leave without penalty simply on request, but those cases seem to be in a minority, and I don't think the forum staff can confirm VM will do that..

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

A_Glitch
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I've also got the same problem in my area, is there literally nothing we can do other than leave Virgin?

Is it possible to even find out if other service providers are being hit just as hard? It would be awful to leave and still have the same problem

0 Kudos
BlackMonk30
Dialled in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

What other providers are good ?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@BlackMonk30 wrote:

What other providers are good ?

You need to put your postcode into other service providers that offer 900Mbps FTTP to check if it's in your area.

There are various slower speeds on offer also.

0 Kudos
BlackMonk30
Dialled in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Virgin are the best for my area in regards to download speeds, 600mb.  other suppliers can’t compete. Next best is prob 60mb-70mb sky/ BT/ Vodafone 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@BlackMonk30 wrote:

Virgin are the best for my area in regards to download speeds, 600mb.  other suppliers can’t compete. Next best is prob 60mb-70mb sky/ BT/ Vodafone 

Fibre is being rolled out over the next few years, however it's difficult to give timescales.

0 Kudos
A_Glitch
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

the problem I've found is speed isn't necessarily the best indicator of level of service - virgin are the fastest provider in my area but the oversubscription is awful, - probably because everybody thinks they'll get the best speed.

Is there anything we can do to stabilise a connection like this? I'd take a stable slow connection over this current mess of a 'high speed' connection
0 Kudos
BlackMonk30
Dialled in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yeah I would gladly take a slower speed if it meant a more stable connection and allow me to game without lag 

0 Kudos