Menu
R_A_P1
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Multicast dns port 5353

Hi I have received an email about a multicast issue and the above port this has been the third time the email has been sent to me,

i have the necessary firewall activated but when I connect my Ethernet switch to the router I think this may be causing the problem? 

I had my PS4 also in dmz but changed this to off on Friday though it has made my connection on Fifa much worse, I can see on my router that no ports of 5353 are open

however I have no clue how to block this port on the switch if it is potentially open, can anyone offer some help?

also I am still getting packet loss to anything I ping on the router settings eg google 1 packet is always lost, and towards a fifa IP address I’m losing 1 out of every 3 packets with response times of 20/20/4400 ms yes that’s correct 4400ms!!! That’s a whole 4 second worth of delay??? This has been ongoing for so long can anyone help fix this?

someone is suggesting on here to switch the firewall off but I don’t think that would help

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Multicast dns port 5353

Hi R_A_P1

Thanks for posting and apologies for the delayed reply.

Have you followed the advice as stated in the communication received?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
R_A_P1
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have done this but it seems the Ethernet switch is still using the port even the the necessary features to block it are on from the router, the switch has a lot of things weirded in a very old fashioned computing way so I can’t seem to find how to block ports on there. The switch is a netgear gs308t 

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to us, what are you trying to block sorry?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Have a look at the manual, https://www.manualslib.com/products/Netgear-Gs308t-10418945.html page 240 on, Manage Port Security.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos