cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved to Virgin yesterday. 2% Packet Loss Apex Legends

addylone123
Tuning in

So this really sucks and it's made me upset.

I was with Sky broadband but I decided to upgrade to Virgin broadband yesterday, I've now got 210 Mbps upload and 30 download which is great, so it's been around 30 hours or so. But ever since I've done that I now have 2% packet loss on Apex Legends servers. I've attached a picture for reference: Packet Loss 

There's clearly an issue as I've then gone and replugged my Sky Router back in as I've still got it for another week and then 0% packet loss immediately.

What is causing this issue and how can I resolve it?

I've rebooted my router, I've changed ethernet wires, tested 5 different CAT5 Ethernet wires, I've tried WiFi over wired. Nothing works. Always 2% pack loss, which in a game as quick as Apex Legends is a deathtrap. You'll always feel like you're being cheated on.

I've been doing some research on the internet and it appears that a lot of people have/had the same issue. All you need to do is Google 'Virgin media apex legends 2% packet loss' and a bunch of posts pop up.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@addylone123 wrote:

I understand what you are saying but isn't that the case for every single ISP out there? All of them would rather sell more in an area than not, because business is business and more money is good money. 

I just hope this can be fixed on Tuesday. If it can't then I guess I'm moving back to Sky. Which I really don't want to do because 60mbps feels so slow now. But packet loss is more worse than slow speed.

Technology like +DSL cannot be over subscribed as the lines come from the Cabinet.  Once the Cabinet is full they can't sell anymore.  However VM can have multiple splitters in the cable run, so can just add more.

Yes, 60mb is slower than 200, but as you have found out, both by Google and using the product, it's been better for gaming.  If you can afford it, you can have both running at the same time by the way.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

Schmidt
Joining in

Please read my post on the link to clarify things. I do have a wired connection. I use static IP with port forwarding and google DNS settings. I have changed MTU settings and tried putting the ps4 in the DMZ, etc. Nothing works for me. As stated in my post on the virgin website, I suspect this is a server issue, a constant one that has not been resolved. Many users of Virgin have the same issue as me with Apex servers, other ISPs do not.

hortonj88
Fibre optic

Being a customer of Virgin Media is a gamble.

You either live in an area where contention / congestion levels are healthy and you get a good working service that's fit for purpose

or

You live in an area where they've connected more customers than there is available bandwidth which means a degraded service for you and others in the area.

The biggest indicator of an "oversubscribed area" is the issues seem to appear or get worse in the evening around 5pm onwards or are bad at weekends around 11 am onwards.

If the internet is fine before those times then chances are you're in an oversubscribed area.

These issues are hard to get them to admit to and when they do the issues can take years to get fixed.

Even if they add capacity they just keep selling and selling which brings back the issues pretty quickly.

Honestly if you're a gamer, exercise your right to cancel within the first 14 days and go back to Sky.

Virgin Media isn't really an ISP for gamers.

Sky may be slower for downloading but the latency and packet loss is more stable which is most important for gaming.

Left Virgin Media in 2020 after being fobbed off one too many times about over utilisation.

Now: BT FTTP 900/110 connected an ASUS RT-AC86U router.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/12098955842.png

addylone123
Tuning in

So are you experiencing the same thing as me, this sucks!

I understand what you are saying but isn't that the case for every single ISP out there? All of them would rather sell more in an area than not, because business is business and more money is good money. 

I just hope this can be fixed on Tuesday. If it can't then I guess I'm moving back to Sky. Which I really don't want to do because 60mbps feels so slow now. But packet loss is more worse than slow speed.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@addylone123 wrote:

Technology like +DSL cannot be over subscribed as the lines come from the Cabinet.  Once the Cabinet is full they can't sell anymore.  However VM can have multiple splitters in the cable run, so can just add more.

Yes, 60mb is slower than 200, but as you have found out, both by Google and using the product, it's been better for gaming.  If you can afford it, you can have both running at the same time by the way.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I believe Openreach cannot sell if there's no available capacity.

Left Virgin Media in 2020 after being fobbed off one too many times about over utilisation.

Now: BT FTTP 900/110 connected an ASUS RT-AC86U router.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/12098955842.png

Please read my post on the link to clarify things. I do have a wired connection. I use static IP with port forwarding and google DNS settings. I have changed MTU settings and tried putting the ps4 in the DMZ, etc. Nothing works for me. As stated in my post on the virgin website, I suspect this is a server issue, a constant one that has not been resolved. Many users of Virgin have the same issue as me with Apex servers, other ISPs do not.

UPSers

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @addylone123,

Welcome! Thanks for posting.

I am sorry to see that you have been having broadband issues.

I located your account using your forums details, I can see you have an appointment booked. Please let us know how this goes.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hello.

The engineer came down to my house today and unfortunately he was not able to fix the issue. He said most likely it is an issue between EA servers and Virgin Media.

I plugged my Sky Router back in and it was back to 0% packet loss, then moved back to virgin and 2% packet loss. I've tried 5 different Ethernet cables, one even brand new and never used, I've tried WIFI and Ethernet, nothing works at all. Engineer was scratching his head as much as I was.

I've since spoken to a friend who is with Virgin also and he sent me a picture and he has the exact same issue.

This appears to be a issue between Virgin and EA servers.