Menu
TikTak
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Moved house and back to square one.

Hello all.

So some time ago I posted in here with issues for gaming/streaming with the SH3, not knowing if this was the area, the hub etc etc. Link here. 

A good 18 months, 15+ visits, 4 new Superhubs, 2 complaints and £20 off a month it finally settled down to a decent level although I'm still not sure what actually fixed it, it just started working one day.

As great as that was, 6 months later I've moved house, had all new equipment and rather frustratingly, 2 months of issues. General browsing is fine but as we all know, we are working from home and video calls can be all over the place. Gaming, the main use in this house is also up and down.

Having a read around the forum it looks like this was never resolved on a huge scale, people appear to be having issues everywhere.

So here I am to start this again ...

Typical BQM (from Friday)

VMBQM-15012021.png

And because it's not as accurate as our monitoring system at work, a snip from PRTG (the packet loss is a joke).

PRTGPing-17012021.png

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Moved house and back to square one.

@TikTak wrote:

Hello all.

So some time ago I posted in here with issues for gaming/streaming with the SH3, not knowing if this was the area, the hub etc etc. Link here. 

A good 18 months, 15+ visits, 4 new Superhubs, 2 complaints and £20 off a month it finally settled down to a decent level although I'm still not sure what actually fixed it, it just started working one day.

As great as that was, 6 months later I've moved house, had all new equipment and rather frustratingly, 2 months of issues. General browsing is fine but as we all know, we are working from home and video calls can be all over the place. Gaming, the main use in this house is also up and down.

Having a read around the forum it looks like this was never resolved on a huge scale, people appear to be having issues everywhere.

So here I am to start this again ...

Typical BQM (from Friday)

VMBQM-15012021.png

And because it's not as accurate as our monitoring system at work, a snip from PRTG (the packet loss is a joke).

PRTGPing-17012021.png

If the BQM is consistent (Settles in the early hours) you have moved into an oversubscribed/utilized area.

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@carl_pearce If the BQM is consistent (Settles in the early hours) you have moved into an oversubscribed/utilized area.

Usually that's true, but take a look at that BQM, and you'll see that there's several blocks of peak time that may not be great, but aren't THAT bad.  Take 7:30pm to 8:00pm as an example.  Typically over-utilisation doesn't seem to have those respite periods.  Then, shortly after that the latency starts to improve, yet there's minor packet loss at around 8:40pm and 9:00pm that isn't consistent with the prevailing latency.  This still could be an over-utilisation issue, but my suspicion is that it is an equipment fault that's manifesting under high demand.

Having said that, it's still a case of calling it in, seeing what VM have to say, and responding accordingly.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
TikTak
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello!

Been a while but thought I'd update even though Virgins "smart" crap is sending me apocalyptic with rage because it's impossible to speak to anyone.

Spoken to a few people and been fobbed off with the usual "there's a problem in my area, it'll be fixed next week". Tried calling 4 times today but the automatic phone system never lets me go further than them "running some tests" and "we're sending a signal to reboot".

This is now affecting the missus working from home as shes on video calls all the time and they just cut in and out as the packets are dropped.

Will likely lodge a complaint as this was the only way to get some progress before.

I've noticed that the last week or so all my BQMs look like this too, which is fun.

BQM 17th Feb

TikTak_1-1613681656660.png

Last "normal" one I had was 3rd Feb

TikTak_2-1613682043871.png

PRTG

TikTak_0-1613681453832.png

0 Kudos
TikTak
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Finally after 3 more calls today got through to a person at VM. Wish I hadn't.

Long story short the "issue in my area is longstanding and continuing" and basically there is "nothing they can do and no discount can be offered".

Pretty appalling for a service that over the last 3 months has been intermittent at best and the last 2 weeks basically unusable.

For amusement sake, here is my BQM from yesterday

TikTak_0-1613997054361.png

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the post Tiktak, we can see there is an area fault that may be effecting your services at the moment. I'll include the details on this below.

Reference: F008633757   

Estimated repair time: 05 MAR 2021 10:00

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos