Menu
Yatesy16
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Major lag spikes Xbox One on wired connection (FIFA, Warzone and Rocket League)

Hi, I'm experiencing extreme lag spikes in every game I play, whilst this happens apparently my voice lags in my Xbox party as well. I'm on a wired connection to the Virgin Hub 3.0 on the 200mbs package. I've tried everything and have eliminated every possible issue that I can think of. I've bought a new ethernet cable- didn't work. Swapped Xbox's with my dad and it still occurs. 

I've rang Virgin up numerous times only to be met with the same dead end answers from employees that are useless. I.e asking if I've reset my internet (which I've done a silly amount of times). Everything that they can check on their end shows up fine apparently, yet I believe the issue lies with the Hub 3.0 itself. However, it is almost impossible for me to get an engineer sent out to get to the bottom of this issue due people on the other end of the phone being incapable of seeing what the issue is. 

Many thanks,

Andy

0 Kudos
Yatesy16
Joining in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Major lag spikes Xbox One on wired connection (FIFA, Warzone and Rocket League)

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team Manager
Forum Team Manager
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Major lag spikes Xbox One on wired connection (FIFA, Warzone and Rocket League)

Hi there Andy (@Yatesy16)

Welcome back to our Community, sorry that you're having some issues when playing online at the moment - is it just the X-Boxes that you're seeing the broadband issues or are other devices also impacted? 

I have located your account from here and we can see that you have recently rebooted within the last couple of days which is great - we have no known area issues listed and no errors showing at this end. All your signal levels are looking to be tip top for your package. 

You do however have a lot of devices connected; our systems are advising that around 5 WiFi devices are actually too close to your Hub which is causing a strain on the bandwidth.

Looking at your BQM, whilst not perfect is certainly not the worse I have seen; your minimal latency seems ok and you have minimal packet loss - of course, if someone else can interpret in more detail, please feel free to comment below. 

Currently, there is nothing on your account to advise that a technician is needed. 

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Yatesy16
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hiya Katie,

Thanks for getting in touch. We do have around 3/4 WiFi devices next to the router as it's next to the TV (which is WiFi as well). 

However, I'm on a wired connection to my xbox, which is upstairs directly above the router. The bandwidth shouldn't affect this as much as it has right? 

Also, we have had a quite a few issues in terms of the WiFi dropping out on our phones. I.e YouTube videos buffering for long periods of time, wifi cuts out on phones so we're using a lot more of our 4G data etc. This all seems to be a daily occurrence if I'm being completely honest.

My lag spikes on my xbox are getting worse by the day if I'm being honest and it really is getting unbearable. I'm 99% convinced it's something to do with with either or router. If it isn't then I feel it is that Virgin have oversubscribed in our area as this never used to happen as of last year. 

Thank you,

Andy

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I would have thought that's over-utilisation a few days ago but apparently not.  

I am of course all for learning new things and building my knowledge base.  Hopefully someone from VM can explain to both me and Yatesy16 how having devices close to the hub "saturates the bandwidth"?  Or is it that the hub can't support 5 wifi devices?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Yatesy16
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hiya Katie, 

We've since moved our router and done what you have said. However, this seems to have made my connection on my Xbox 10x worse. To say I'm on a wired connection as well, makes things a lot more worrying! If anything, on a wired connection, I should be getting the best connection that this router can give essentially. This really needs looking at as we're paying enough money as it is for this package and we aren't receiving the connection that's advertised.

I will be ringing the support line tomorrow to try and find an answer (although, I am quite certain they will not provide me with any answers whatsoever). So I'm hoping someone on here can seriously provide the help I need or we're going to have to seriously look at other broadband providers unfortunately.

Thanks,

Andy

0 Kudos
Martin_D
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Good evening, Andy

If you can post the information from the router let’s have look at them to see if we can find the problem

Welcome to the most friendliest community.

Have you got technical problem post it and we will help you fix it.
0 Kudos
Yatesy16
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hiya Martin,

Sorry for the late reply. We've since had an engineer out to check the router and they've said that they can't seem to find any problems. They advised us to move up to the 350mbps package, so we have. However, looking at my BQM, the latency still isn't great and it's evident when I'm playing online; I'm not lagging as much I was before but it still seems to persist. 

What router details did you need?

There has to be an issue with something, as I've looked at example BQM's for the 350mbps package and they're 100x better than what we're receiving.

Here's my BQM for reference:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/828ef8f3802d56c71b68291f3d30247f3b... 

0 Kudos