Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

MTU affecting my server

Hi there, currently my son is running a dedicated server on a dedicated machine of his related to a game called DayZ, now problem is he runs mods on these servers which opens features and benefits to his players, now he has to query his mods between the server machine and the steam query meaning the launcher can detect what mods are using on the server, problem is MTU size is set to 1500 max and he needs it higher as each of his mods query at 48 bytes ish, anything 28 mods or above, it stops his server from querying meaning can he get a higher MTU then 1500 through virgin if requested?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: MTU affecting my server

MTU wont be the problem here. the amount of data and the MTU size isn't related

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

So you're saying the game devs are wrong, there correct, 1 mod uses around 40byte then including steam query, so you are wrong because surprisingly I work as a IT Account Manager and as pre sales including network solutions, every packet larger then 1470 bytes is being "blocked", more then -28 mods and you are above the byte limit, You need about 40 byte per mod + general steam protocol overhead. So how is that not going to affect how many mods can be queried to the server, its dependant on the MTU size not been high enough.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Simply a higher MTU size of 1500 would fix this issue
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I'm a 3rd level system engineer. so I'm a little higher than an IT account manger 🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

But what is funny, you just refused and said MTU size would not affect how many mods is queried to my server. Simply lower the MTU and less mods will be queried simply as its put.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Alone 29 mods uses 1200 MTU, like you would know. Add the general steam protocol overhead and boom your over the limit for MTU
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

MTU is a frame size at the data layer. It only effects how many large the packets are not chane the amount of data (mods) transferred. it will just change the number of packets needed to do the same job

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Then also alone the steam query protocol uses 1400 MTU size easily, so you're saying its now not a MTU size issue? Can you now refuse that it is a MTU size issue?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

So if you think its not that reason, go ahead now and tell me what the issue is? Id like to hear
0 Kudos