Menu
Mcrman
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Living with 💯 packet loss!!!

I’m currently experiencing 💯 packet loss!! I need to know wether or not this can be fixed?!

I’m supposed to receive 300mbps download and 36mbps upload speeds. Which fluctuates massively from 280 to 100mbps DL and 30 to 2.5mbps. My contract states I shouldn’t receive less than 18mbps down and 150mbps.

Usual speed tests show I have excellent broadband speeds. Which isn’t the case if you look into them properly! I’ve used PingPlotter and the readings show unstable down and up load speeds with fluctuations in latency and jitter. 

The results also show 💯 packet loss between my router and the outside line! Pls see photo.

6D755185-7F30-4E23-A108-BEED8E502863.jpeg

So obviously I’m not happy! As these Poor results are affecting my gameplay in various online games! I bought my VM package on the basis it was far superior to other providers especially for online gaming. Naively I’ve lived with this problem since last August and was fobbed off by VM as there diagnostics speed test showed great speed results. (Which fluctuated) Recently I’ve tried to educate myself around the above mentioned issues and have finally identified what I think is the problem. 

So my question to the community is....have any of you experienced 💯 packet loss? Can I get it fixed? With VM not providing consistent up and download speeds...can I cancel my contract? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Living with 💯 packet loss!!!

That is not 100% packet loss as clearly the pings are getting to the destination and returning a reply, the apparent loss will be due to a device in the chain simply not responding to the ICMP requests.

From what you have posted, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong. You might want to set up a free BQM (from thinkbroadband.com) and let it run for a day or so. If you can post the live URL then we can see if you are suffering from any congestion.

0 Kudos
Mcrman
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply.

I’ve carried out another test and these are the results. 

5D7EA860-BDE0-4800-9DD1-1F14DC63C6E7.jpeg

Any thoughts please? 

0 Kudos
Mcrman
Joining in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Here are more results. Any help would be appreciated. 

6C189B5C-AA8F-4F73-8C5C-814AE6300285.jpeg

0 Kudos
Mcrman
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

798C606C-82DF-405D-AF16-DC0E8A8A0135.jpeg

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You report huge fluctuations in speed.  The D/L speed could be down to a range of causes, the U/L range goes too low for most reasonable alternative explanations and so may indicate that you have a broadband problem.  Connect to the hub, don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  Open the Downstream tab.  Select all the text (Ctrl-A if using a keyboard), copy it (Ctrl-C), then paste it (Ctrl-V) into a reply here as TEXT not screenshots.  Post that, do the same for the Upstream and Network log.  You'll get an error message when you post the Network log, just click on "post" a second time.  Then we can check for any obvious problems with power, noise or error counts.

I'd also agree you set up a BQM as per @jem101 's suggestion.  You might be confident in the data you're seeing, but grainy, poor resolution pics aren't a great help to me.  Setup a BQM over at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality that'll show what's going on with your VM connection.  Post a LINK to a LIVE, SHARED graph here and we'll see what's happening.  Usually needs to run for 24 hours before we can draw reasonable conclusions, but the live graph will continuously update so you can post the link immediately.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Mcrman
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the information 👍🏻 I wasn’t able to carry out your first instructions (Connect to the hub, don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  Open the Downstream tab.) 

i managed to complete a test via thinkbroardband. Results are 25 Mbps Down and 10Mbps. 

I rebooted the router and PingPlotter results are not great! I’m not the best at linking actual time graphs data to here 🙄 but have included photos of the results. 

ive also spoken to customerr Service and they’ve completed remote test and sent info to my router. Unfortunately this has improved my speeds or packet loss!

Any further support advice appciated 🙏

AED4C187-2C59-4349-A24C-73D52E63FC7A.jpeg

71D3BED5-2AD7-4CB1-A142-791C1C554CD6.jpeg

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I wasn’t able to carry out your first instructions (Connect to the hub, don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  Open the Downstream tab.) 

OK, then connect to the hub, and login.  Then have a look under items like Advanced settings>Admin>Tools or similar, and you'll find the hub status data.  It's just a bit less convenient that way, but it works the same in the end.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Superstar
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you have 100% packet loss, that means you have no connection at all. So for whatever reason those tests are showing that figure, they are meaningless. 

The variable nature of your speed tests is more like you would get from a WiFi connection.  If that is the case they are also irrelevant and you need to test over ethernet. 

0 Kudos
Mcrman
Joining in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi these are my results with LAN connection to Laptop. Any thoughts?

BB056718-EFAB-40F4-97BC-B96F92061A6B.jpeg

0 Kudos