cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency

DERF444
On our wavelength

Hard wired, cat 8 cable. Latency is around 30ms. Wireless test gets 14ms. What's going on? When I was with Virgin a couple of years ago on old type of hub I was getting 18ms. How can I fix this. Brand new cable. Tried various DNS. Any clues?

20 REPLIES 20

Wait 24 ms to reach the hub?

Hang on is this that Sam Knows testing or something else, what's actually being pinged or done here to get that result?

To ping a hub in router mode it's 192.168.0.1 by default, modem mode it's 192.168.100.1

This being done from the console, some Sam Knows test I don't know about or an app on the console? 

DERF444
On our wavelength

The latency test I was doing was on the Virgin app to my mobile phone. I was thinking ( right or wrong) that if I was getting it at around 14ms to phone I would get the same or there abouts to the modem/router hard wired to the Xbox console. To date, the best I have had is 24ms and this is changing the DNS every time. When I had Virgin three years ago with the old router I was getting 16ms consistently?!****

darmo
Up to speed

hmmm interesting thread, If 16ms is what you got previously and what you are aiming to get back to now, then you need to aim higher son, much higher, 16ms is poor. Curious to see what your options will inevitably be solving the latency issues......staying tuned.

DERF444
On our wavelength

Are you saying 16ms is slow?if so, I do believe you have got that wrong, or is it me?

DERF444
On our wavelength

Latest news, I have kept to the Virgin DNS for the last 5 days and I am getting a very consistent score between 22ms to 29ms. I would be happy with this if it stays like that, or should I expect to get lower, say between 10ms to 19ms? Any one else on Xbox console getting better than this?

I think it's unclear your exact testing methodology. Maybe share it step by step and then someone with an Xbox can follow same steps to compare with you.

DERF444
On our wavelength

This is what I do to test my latency on Xbox, go to settings, network settings, test network speed and statistics, checking networks, then it comes back in ms what I expect on latency.

I'm not sure about Xbox results.  I get 154ms and lowest 54ms.

On samknows I get 9.2ms and 1.3 jitter whatever that is.  From WiFi to hub 19ms.

If Xbox was 153ms I'd notice it, wouldn't I? Only thing I notice is that some people don't seem to hit me before I've killed them. 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @DERF444,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and sorry to hear about your connection and speed issues! 

I've taken a look at our systems and I can see that there's some issues with your upstream and downstream channels. This could be impacting your connection.

In order to look into this further for you, I'll need to arrange a technician appointment for you. I'll send you a Private Message to confirm a few details. Please keep an eye out for a purple envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. I'll be in touch soon.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Martyn
Up to speed

So your connection to Xbox has less latency than any other device? What cabling is the other decides using? 🤔 cat8 seems a bit op, you’d see zero improvement over cat5/6 imo, especially to a Xbox. First step I’d do is try a different cable if you have one nearby 

Connection: Virgin FTTP Gig2 (XGSPON)