20210120_220051.jpg

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latency

The docsis link is fine the QoS they need to do is not.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Joycey
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for looking. Is there a way for it to be sorted?

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Looks to me like the hub has a noisy connection (noise or power levels), which would explain the latency spikes between half midnight and 8am, and that could probably be resolved.  The bulk of your problem though looks like over-utilisation, which means the local network can't handle traffic volumes.

If this is due to Covid-related home working by people around you, then there's the hope it will resolve itself when we get out of the situation, but that looks like being some months yet.  And if WFH becomes the new normal, it could go on a lot longer.  If you're hoping or expecting VM to be able and willing to resolve this, you might be pleasantly surprised but based on the track record of customers subject to the same problem, I'd say dial your expectation down low. 

If low latency is an immediate and essential need, then you may need to consider changing ISP (or running an Openreach connection as backup to VM).  But do your research first, don't just assume that there are no problems on Openreach's network around you.  And make sure you know how long to connect a new Openreach line.  I'd expect you to be able to get sense out of the smaller, well run ISPs (AAISP, Aquiss, CIX, IDNet, uno, Zen Internet) to questions, whereas the larger ISPs probably aren't geared up to worry about quality of the connection, and just want to wrap up the sale.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Joycey
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you.

This issue has only been present for the last 3 weeks so would it be safe to assume that it's the noise and power levels causing the problem? 

There are alot of folks in my area WFH and it has not really made an impact until now.

Pinging google often shows a huge variance in response so it would be 22, 40, 176, 51 in ms with no packet loss. 

I'm confused as it was running absolutely perfect but I am not that savvy with internet tech. 

0 Kudos
chatmandu
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It's congestion. That's why the connection is pretty good in the small hours of the morning. 

0 Kudos
Joycey
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So I've had an engineer come a fix the power levels and noise and yet the poor latency continues, is there a way for the congestion to be sorted?

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Joycey wrote:

So I've had an engineer come a fix the power levels and noise and yet the poor latency continues, is there a way for the congestion to be sorted?

If VM upgrade the infrastructure to cope with the demand.

0 Kudos
Joycey
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

• No then lol
0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Joycey wrote:
  • No then lol

Well they are 'planning' on spending £1bn this year...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55529291 

0 Kudos