Menu
Dfonix
Tuning in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Latency

Ok I've had too many issues with the hub 3 now. I've tried everything I can think of even paid for a £200 router and ran the hub in modem modem, disconnected every other device. Ps4 is wired and I average a ping of 150-200ms. My ping response to Google server starts off nice starts with 10-40ms then 900ms 1420ms sometimes even 4000ms my question is why? The hub 4 isn't available in my area, so what's the fix, is there really a fault or is it just bad. I'm bored of talking to customer service and being asked to do an speed test. Couldn't care about the speeds its the latency that's the problem.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latency

Set up a BQM, then post a link to a live, shared graph.  It'll take a minimum of twelve hours and ideally twenty four for the live chart to show a sufficient picture for us to reliably comment.

In the meanwhile you might post (as text, not images) your hub's status data for Downstream, Upstream and Network log, although if you're mostly getting decent speeds I'm not sure we'll find a resolvable fault in terms of power or noise levels.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Cozyman
Tuning in
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Here's a link to mine.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/e89c721d7f332bd89611d6175821a18e4d...

Long story short as I see it with VM is they are great at download speeds, but too many areas are over subscribed and they can't give anything like acceptable latency for gaming....

Soooooo frustrating as everything else about the service I'm fine with (apart from the Sky Atlantic problem). 

My contract is up in February, think I'll be looking elsewhere after 20 years with blueyonder/Virgin....They've had their chance.

0 Kudos
Dfonix
Tuning in
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Heres a link to a BQM from yesterday.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/d39a9ee2df2ee54bfc362228ecdbbb5e4a...

I've spoken to a network engineer from Manchester who's advised me to get a VM engineer to run a docsis test from the box in my street for 15-20 mins. So if this is something we can arrange that'd be helpful.

Thanks

D

0 Kudos
Dfonix
Tuning in
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I'm in the same Boat mate, but I know people who live 5mins away and say its perfect! so confusing.
0 Kudos
Cozyman
Tuning in
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

This does seem a big problem for a few people, whilst I appreciate lockdown usage won't be helping, not good enough for me.

I've ordered Sky and will be giving my 30 day notice to Virgin to cancel my whole service (can't do that until 25.01 or I will have to pay £42!). Been with them 20 years but had enough now.

0 Kudos
TrueVerdict
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

your idea of perfect against their idea of perfect will be perfectly different.... when it comes to Broadband do not look for household direct comparisons they will be mis matched.
--------------------------------------------------------------
If you find my responses help or amuse you in any way, please cheer me up and give me some Kudos - - - - Services: Hub3 500mb speedtest.net result 22 Jan 2021 = 550mb down / 36mb up Ping 12
0 Kudos
TrueVerdict
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

enjoy the copper line 80mb experience... i worked for a company on the open reach system... it is far worse than VM..... heavy rain call a tech... bit of wind call a tech.... snow.... call a tech.... your neighbour has a cold... call a tech.!!!! the grass just isn't greener my friend.
--------------------------------------------------------------
If you find my responses help or amuse you in any way, please cheer me up and give me some Kudos - - - - Services: Hub3 500mb speedtest.net result 22 Jan 2021 = 550mb down / 36mb up Ping 12
0 Kudos
Cozyman
Tuning in
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I know there's a risk, but can't stick with VM any more. Had Plusnet for a year about 12 months ago and it was fine so fingers crossed!

Plus from 16th Feb I'll have Sky Atlantic 😀

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@Dfonix The BQM isn't obviously indicating an over-utilisation problem.

Connect to the hub by clicking on this link http://192.168.0.1/  That should pull up the log in page for the hub.  But don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  Open the Downstream tab.  Select all the text (Ctrl-A if using a keyboard), copy it (Ctrl-C), then paste it (Ctrl-V) into a reply here.  Post that, do the same for the Upstream and Network log.  You'll get an error message when you post the Network log, just click on "post" a second time.

Then we can check for any obvious problems with power, noise or error counts.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos