Menu
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Latency shocker!

'scuse me if I've been asleep, but I went and took one of my infrequent looks at my BQM at thinkbroadband.com, and I was staggered to see that it was clean!!!

No spikes, and the sort of steady jitter-free low latency that I'd normally associate with a very good VDSL Openreach connection.  And I went back and looked at the day before, and the day before, and they were the same.  All the way back to 24 July, when something changed and not only did the jitter and spiking all but disapepar, but there was a useful step change in 

So, maybe firmware, maybe something on the network, or maybe something changed over at Thinkbroadband (or VM routing to their servers) and my BQM merely looks better.

So, questions:

1) Is the change real (seems to be)?

2) Out of curiosity, anybody know what they've done?

3) Do I need to eat humble pie having recently posted a comment that low latency DOCSIS wasn't arriving for many years to come?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latency shocker!

I check my TBB monitor most days and I've not noticed anything different on my circuit. It's just the same as it's always been. 

Sounds like they are working in your area, and maybe have increased the capacity or something?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Looks like it's at the VM end. What (Super) Hub are you using?

April 21st was the date that the TBB graph changed for me, with the blue average line becoming a saw-tooth line (after several hours downtime when I presume something changed at their end). Nothing has changed more recently, apart from increased RS Errors and decreased RxMER, which of course VM can't explain 😉

My Broadband Ping - VM SuperHub 2ac @ home

SH 2ac, 200Mb BB; V6 TiVo, Full House TV; M Phone just to call VM
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I be interested to know too I thought my latency was low but yours is a win!

---------------------------------------------------------------
BQM, Test for outgoing ports and L2TP VPN test
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

darkman: "Looks like it's at the VM end. What (Super) Hub are you using?"

The Hub 3, 200 Mbps, VM area 04 (Redditch, Worcs).  So far the improvement is persistent and looks permanent.  Here's the last 24 hours.  Smoother than a very smooth thing, and that's with a load of streaming, and a bit of gaming at various times.  This is looking like a 21st century connection.

I hope this is some network architecture improvement that everybody will be seeing in due course - although whether the SH2 will fully benefit I don't know - it has always had some of the Puma flaws, albeit not as bad as the Hub 3, but as far as I know the SH2 never got an equivalent firmware fix to that the Hub 3 did. 

If I were VM, I'd be trumpeting this sort of improvement all over the show, because it is fantastic for gaming.  For years we've had speeds far, far above those needed for gaming, the issue has always been latency, and (fingers crossed) some genius at Virgin Media has sorted that good and proper (toes crossed, and anything else lending itself to be being crossed).  And as somebody always happy to point out VM's shortcomings, I'll publicly thank and congratulate the nameless heroes responsible for doing this.

Remarkable how things change.  Two years ago I'd have happily flushed my Hub 3 down the toilet, and now (mediocre wifi and dodgy UI aside) they'd have to pry it out of my fingers by the use of force.  I wonder whether the gigabit connections with the new hub are going to perform this well, or whether there's more than a financial cost to giga-bragging rights?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

That's a remarkable TBB graph for a cable connection, it looks like a VDSL connection!

Can you post a traceroute to pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com? It would be interesting to see if there's anything different about the route it takes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Here you go sir!

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.885]
(c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Tracing route to pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com [80.249.99.164]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms XXX.XXX.XX.XX
2 12 ms 10 ms 8 ms 10.104.60.1
3 10 ms 8 ms 9 ms wolv-core-2b-xe-230-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.252.174.57]
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 23 ms 15 ms 15 ms eislou2-ic-2-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.84.62]
7 14 ms 16 ms 18 ms linx-gw2.thdo.ncuk.net [195.66.236.240]
8 16 ms 19 ms 17 ms po4-31.core-rs2.thdo.ncuk.net [80.249.97.85]
9 23 ms 13 ms 32 ms pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com [80.249.99.164]

Trace complete.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks! Nothing really stands out there. @CarlTSpeak did say VM would be making some changes to improve latency but not until next year. Perhaps your area is being used as a trial? 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/HAD-ENOUGH-CAN-T-BELIEVE-MY-NETWORK/m-p/4020579#M210970 (last line) 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

A trial?  A trial?  You've put the fear of god into me now, that maybe it will revert back to how it was.  

Please, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Or, more optimistically, hoping the trial goes well and everybody gets this level of service.  From my point of view I've seen zero issues or problems, just a persistent improvement in latency and reduced jitter.  I had thought that I'd upped my gaming performance lately - evidently that has more to do with VM's improvements than me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

What you get with this test
http://www.dslreports.com/tools/puma6
---------------------------------------------------------------
BQM, Test for outgoing ports and L2TP VPN test
0 Kudos