Menu
Conormcm94
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Latency issues

Hi, 

I’ve just bought the new Xbox series X (gone from the PS4) and I’m having serious latency issues, I’m using the Vhub 3.0 on the 100mb package.

The speed I’m receiving isn’t the problem as I’m plugged in with an Ethernet Cable less than 2 metres away (I get around 90mbps download and 10mbps upload) the problem is latency it is so up and down it’s completely unplayable I’ll go from 50ms-200 constantly changing, after researching enough I’ve come across some sort of bug In the puma6 or something?

My contract is up and I can freely change providers if I want to but it’s a bit of an unnecessary faff if fixable.

Has anybody had this problem recently I’m based in South London.

Thanks,

Con

(Sorry I’m not very tech savvy)

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latency issues

Puma chipset bug was fixed several years back.  Your problem is almost certainly the same as this user.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I suggested it was Covid related, and you'd have to hope that, but on further reflection there have been quite a few complaints about chronic over-utilisation in some parts of South London.  Those chronic cases are where VM have signed up more customers than the network can handle (they try not to do this, but there's sometimes a difference between good intentions and real world outcomes), and if this is the case, it won't be sorted out by the world going back to work and school, although chances are the daytime problems will reduce and it will become something that affects evening use (and thus gaming and leisure use).  Chronic over-utilisation can only be fixed by either sufficient customers leaving to relieve the stress on the network, or network modifications that are often expensive, technically complex, and are rarely quick fixes (and often accompanied by "false hope" fix dates).  I can't offer any way of you differentiating between the Covid related and chronic problems, but if you believe it to be chronic, you get another ISP ASAP.  If you believe it to be Covid related, then you take a bet on when and how quickly things return to normal, and whether you're prepared to wait however long, or whether you'll try and get in a new ISP now rather than wait.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Conormcm94
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andruser,

Thanks for getting back to me,

Interesting so basically what you are saying is there is nothing I can about it and there is nothing VM will do about it! 

It’s a very sore subject in this house at the moment I’m starting to think why should I pay for something that does not work properly?

Problem is I don’t even know if changing ISP will make any difference at all annoyingly.

Anyway thank you for the reply!

Conor

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

In a word, yes. 

Even so, I've whispered it elsewhere, but Covid wasn't VM's fault, and the fact that their technology turned out to lack robustness against the pressures of lockdown is the wisdom of hindsight.  I'm not sure that even with foresight they could have put in place the technology to increase upstream capacity (full duplex DOCSIS), as the standards were only finalised a couple of years back (the blink of an eye in terms of infrastructure planning), and as far as I know there's no production-ready full duplex hubs available yet anywhere.  I have sympathy for the predicament, I have no sympathy for the company's avoidably poor handling of it.  Rule number one in corporate crisis management is honestly admitting the problem, not hiding it.  Unfortunately VM have decided that sticking their head in the sand is the best way forward.

In terms of would it be better with another ISP, read this.  Unless you've got a Cityfibre or Openreach FTTP option, then changing ISP will mean slower download speeds, but as a rule latency issues are much better controlled, although I would say to avoid the cheap and cheerless ISPs.  Paying extra for good service that you hope you don't need seems a waste...until you do need it.  In the case of VM, we pay extra for higher speeds, but the ISP customer service is cheaply provided, and as a result lurks down there in the basement with the very worst providers.

If you're willing to endure the high un-discounted VM prices, then you could of course sit it out for another couple of months and see what happens, and if there's no improvement you're not stuck in a fixed term contract.  Also, subject to the usual game-playing with Retentions, I reckon that a competent negotiating strategy will see some very good retention deals available in mid to late March, when the company faces up to the customer losses caused by the recent collapse in customer service, the poor customer communication, the notable over-utilisation problems, and the unwarranted price rise.

If considering a new ISP, you need to check how long it will take to get connected, and you need to be confident in the quality of service promises from the new ISP. If you get the new connection in before cancelling VM, then you can try it out risk free for 14 days under your cooling off rights, although that means another month or so of paying for VM because of the 30 days notice. But if the new connection is delayed it doesn't matter, and if the service doesn't meet speed or latency needs you cancel and owe nothing, with no impact on your VM arrangements.

0 Kudos