Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Latency issues/ packet loss while online gaming

Hi, I have the M350 Fibre Broadband and have been getting increasingly worse latency variation and packet loss making gaming online impossible. Previously the jitter used to be very minimal and tended to happen every other day during peak times however every week the issue seems to worsen with higher jitter no matter the time. I currently have the virgin hub 3 in modem mode with a recently bought ASUS RT-AC86U Wi-Fi AC2900 router which i thought would help the issues, however this is not the case. I have posted a BQM graph below, any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/9fcb6b939baf077c2c7ba3514b226b9302...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latency issues/ packet loss while online gaming

Hi Pedro321,

Welcome to the community and thank you for your post. 

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're having. 

Just to confirm a few details. 

Are you using a Wired or Wireless connection? What devices are you having the issue with? Is this on one or multiple games? Have you tried using just the Hub 3 to see if there is any change?

^Martin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I am using a wired connection to my pc and this issue seems to affect all games, issue was the same or worse when using just the hub 3

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Right I see. What I will do is private message you so I can look into this. 

^Martin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

EDIT: Having gone back and forth with a moderator over several weeks i have been told that "there isn't much that can be done" due to speeds usually being fine and that the only thing that could possibly make a difference is "replacing the cables to the property", however even speeds have been lacklustre with numerous tests showing below 200mbps. Issues not only seem to have gotten worse in severity but also frequency with the only time i can get a stable connection is early hours if the morning. I would like to know if there is any point even staying with virgin or if there is anything else i can do to resolve these issues because I am getting an service unusable for gaming shown in the BQM below taken from today(one of the better days), which at this point is simply frustrating.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/547e15190ad382d0408df7e841a9431a74...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

On the assumption that VM's staff have checked out your hub's status for power levels, SNR and errors, and are saying (in effect) that the company has an idea of the cause, but can't be bothered to do the necessary work to remediate the poor connection that the BQM proves, then you can try a few more things:

1) If you're out of contract, phone up and issue notice of termination.  The Customer Retention agents will make considerable efforts to keep you as a customer, and may schedule a visit by a technician to try and resolve it.  You don't have to agree to that, depends if you still have any faith in VM's service.

2) As above, but not accepting the offers to resolve the fault. In this case you're looking for a new ISP.  My recommendation is to avoid the big ISPs, they've all got the same poor customer service, and damning Trustpilot ratings, but consider some of the better performing smaller ISPs, over at ISP Review.  But also check pricing and pricing structures - AAISP have legendary customer support, but their offer is structured much like a small business package in terms of pricing, Zen on the other hand have offers much closer to the "all you can eat" offers of large ISPs, but with better service.  Go through the top ten for service, see which suits you and is available in your area - your money, your choice.

3) Use VM's Complaints Policy to raise a complaint that the connection is inadequate for its intended purpose, and request that the company investigate and explain what the cause is, and what they intend to do to fix it.  So basically similar to (1) other than that you have not threatened to leave.

4) More a note than an option,  but if you're in contract, and do wish to leave, then VM will probably expect you to pay them for the privilege of leaving.  If that's the case, then again, use the VM Complaints Process, but asking to be released without penalty due to the poor quality of the connection, and compensation for the cost of VM services from the date you originally asked to leave.  VM will probably refuse, but you have to go through that stage before you can escalate to the arbitration service CISAS.  This can be a very effective route, but you must follow CISAS customer guidance to the letter, and it isn't a quick fix, it could be as much as three months if VM hold out and you were successful in your CISAS appeal.  There's data that can be read as implying that VM hold out on some complaints until it is escalated to CISAS, at which point for some categories of complaint they immediately concede the matter without going to a full arbitration.  Something else to bear in mind, you need to structure the case for CISAS very, very clearly, and to explain what the problem is, as the arbitrator may not be familiar with terms like latency, nor understand what the significance is.  Whilst there's no guarantee that CISAS will support your claim, there's no financial cost to you under any circumstances. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Pedro321,

First of all, I'd like to apologise for the ongoing difficulties you're having with your connection and the trouble you've had obtaining further information.

I can confirm that we haven't been able to identify any underlying cause for this issue, but I have completed further investigations and reached out to the local field team for assistance. It's not at all that we can't be bothered to resolve the issue, it's a case of setting expectations. We can't find any faults so can't guarantee that any attempted fixes would address the symptoms. In fact, we're at a stage where it's difficult to suggest any next steps as there aren't really many leads for us to follow.

I appreciate that a potential cable repull has been mentioned with no timescale as of yet. Depending on the nature of the fault and the location of the issue on the network, it is very possible that this won't help. However, I have mentioned this in my email and will do all I can to get this booked in as per your request.

As the name suggests, our field team are predominantly field-based, so it can take a couple of days for a response. I'm on shift every day until next Friday, so I can assure you that I'll update you with any information as soon as it's received.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Further to my above comment, I've already had an initial response. I'll drop you a private message now to discuss this further, please head to the purple envelope in the top right corner to respond.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos