Menu
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 31 of 56
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latency issues after speed upgrade

The "forum guys" are wrong. I'm glad they told you the truth. 

In a fibre to the home area the upstream can be as low as 27db and its frustrating when my input was ignored. This doesn't mean you have a low signal, this means the lower the number the easier a time your hub is having to speak to the CMTS

You probably will have been given a refurbished modem, it's very common  as many get returned once people leave or upgrade to a hub 4.

I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 32 of 56
Flag for a moderator

It must be, still has the logs from previous owner, including MAC addresses.

This service is an absolute joke. Technician came round and tested my speed and informed me I must be on the wrong package (they got 360 down) and that I would need to sort this out myself. I’m on the 500m package. This problem only occurred when I upgraded my speed. I just had a couple of goes now and it’s no better
https://samknows.one/result/Mjg5NjYzMzkwMjsyMDIwLTA4LTE0OzIyOTtlbi1HQg==?navbar=false 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 33 of 56
Flag for a moderator

You can check the speed of your hub's configuration file by going into the hub's status page, and looking under Configuration.  You're looking for the Downstream section, and then the Maximum Traffic Rate.  It'll be shown in bits per second, so knock off the last six digits.

If this is around the 550 level, then your hub has the correct speed configuration and the technician was wrong, and this would indicate nobody at VM knows what they are doing.  If it is around 380, then he's right, and something has gone wrong with getting the correct speed level pushed to your hub, although still disappointing that he wouldn't take ownership and get that sorted for you.

Regarding the hub's light, my personal view is that if it isn't showing a clear colour in line with the VM codes (white, green, red or magenta), then it needs replacing.  There's a lot of people happy to say "oh, it's yellow, that's just an off white, just a minor issue, nothing to worry about", but the LED is also the indicator for overheating.  Presumably the hub's designers had a good reason for having an overheating indicator, so if you can't rely on the displayed colour, can you trust it?  You wouldn't drive a car with an unreliable speedometer, why accept a baked-bean stained secondhand hub that you can't be sure will display a safety fault?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 34 of 56
Flag for a moderator

Router configuration looks fine. So if the virgin tech checks my connection and tells me I’m on the wrong speed and doesn’t bother to do anything about it I have little hope this is going to be resolved. I am now in a worst situation than before.

Router status
General Configuration
Network access
Allowed
Maximum Number of CPEs
Baseline Privacy
Enabled
DOCSIS Mode
Docsis30
Config file
873254k;fg87dsfd;kfo

Primary Downstream Service Flow
SFID3200
Max Traffic Rate575000000
Max Traffic Burst42600
Min Traffic Rate0

Primary Upstream Service Flow
SFID3199
Max Traffic Rate38520000
Max Traffic Burst42600
Min Traffic Rate0
Max Concatenated Burst16320
Scheduling TypeBestEffort
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 35 of 56
Flag for a moderator

Your provisioned to 500, maybe call up now and ask the technician to return to conduct a speed test/escalate to networks if he cannot prove your speed?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 36 of 56
Flag for a moderator

Speed wasn’t the issue, but that fact this was flagged and nothing was done has annoyed me.

He connected the old router which has a solid yellow light, surely they should have noticed this.

I’m not wasting my time and money just for someone to tell me to reset my router, it’s utterly pointless and I would rather not have the same guys come round as it would appear that I’ve not been provided the best service from.

Honestly at the end of my tether now...really am considering cancelling my direct debit and going bk to talk talk.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 37 of 56
Flag for a moderator

It's a warm white not yellow, it's classed as white either way.  I wouldn't get too conserned about the temperature of the white LED

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 38 of 56
Flag for a moderator

really am considering cancelling my direct debit and going bk to talk talk.

If you just cancel the DD, you'll have your credit history stained with a credit payment default, you'll be liable for late payment charges and debt recovery costs, you may be pursued by a debt collection agency, there will be a world of inconvenience, and your default will be visible to all service providers, lenders, landlords, finance companies and even employers for the next six years.  Don't do it.  If you want to cancel, search out the online VM Terms and Conditions, and read them thoroughly, noting the important bits about any applicable early termination fees, and "ways to end this agreement".  You can cancel by post if you don't want to endure the misery of VM's telephone contact.

In terms of going back to Talktalk....what are you thinking?  VM have crap, outsourced and offshored customer service, and you want to take you business to another shameful outfit that majors on crap, outsourced and offshored customer service?  Sky are equally poor and customer-loathing.  BT/EE are pretty poor, but at least all customer contact is now from UK call centres rather than third world hell holes, and performance has measurably improved looking at Ofcom data.

There's some really good smaller ISPs (AAISP, Zen Internet, Aquiss, uno, IDnet) who run their businesses with high calibre UK customer service and tech support.  I've dealt with Zen, they were excellent.  If you're looking to move, search out any prospective ISP on Trustpilot, and see what other customers experience has been.  Long term, the prices for these better run companies aren't that different to the majors, except that the smaller companies don't run the heavily discounted prices followed by a big price hike, so it will look more expensive in the short term.

For the lowest price continually, you need to be with the big (and crap) ISPs, and move as soon as the introductory pricing expires.  But that means you're always with the big four (or Vodafone, who are even worse than VM), and you're having to change ISP every twelve to eighteen months.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 39 of 56
Flag for a moderator

To be honest I wrote that in a fit of desperation. Since getting the refurbished router yesterday I noticed my IP address has changed, in addition my location in the game has also changed from Bradford to Manchester, not that I live at any of those locations. I tried a few games online during the day after the engineers had been and it hadn't improved my situation. As mentioned prior, the issue got significantly worse after I upgraded my speed, it was never perfect before but manageable. I jumped back online last night and I had a few good hours of gaming, this is the first time in 3 weeks I have been able to do this. My BB quality monitor also looks better. Not sure if my problems have been solved as my router stats are worse, but having said this I had Low levels before and managed? I”ll monitor this over this next few days/weeks to see if it has got better. Thanks for taking the time to offer me support, it is appreciated

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 40 of 56
Flag for a moderator

Update, tried playing tonight and was totally unplayable again. It wasn’t this bad a few weeks ago so something has changed. Not sure giving me a second hand defective router has solved the issue. I’m using a cat 8 Ethernet cable to PS4 but I don’t think this is the issue as it’s fairly new however I had ordered a replacement just in case. I’m really at the end of my tether with this, either Virgin won’t sort out my issue, or they simply can’t provide me with a reliable connection. I’ve was advised my upstream levels were low at 3.2, engineer came out and now they at 3.175 so now lower! It’s my understanding that these are within tolerance however they are pretty much at the bottom end.

0 Kudos