Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Latency gaming issue.......

I'm getting absolutely sick to death of experiencing latency issues when playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare.

Hard wired directly into the router, also have a 500mb package with a crappy VM SH3.

I had intermittent issues with latency before the lockdown, it was nowhere near as bad as it is now. Since the lockdown gaming has just become unplayable, I tried re-installing a fresh copy of Windows and messing around with a bunch of settings. After a while I got so fed up I downloaded the game on my PS4, surprise surprise I get the exact same problems.

Can someone PLEASE help, if not i'm going to pay out of the contract. Sick of the unreliable speeds, sick of the customer service, everything about VM is an absolute joke. Another money hungry business that has no interest in keeping their customers happy. 

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latency gaming issue.......

I have the same problem with call of duty. Getting to a stage where I can't play it anymore. The only time it seems to improve is the early hours of the morning. 

My boy plays fortnite and that's just as bad but the only thing is he can't stay up to the early hours for it to be playable. 

Leads me to beleive its not technical problem just not enough bandwidth.

Paying for a service I can't use. I've got a superhub 4 which I can't even optmize because the app doesn't support it yet. 

Hope you don't mind me jumping on your thread? It's just we have the same problem. 

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

No worries at all, were all in the same boat.

I think I managed to solve my problems! All of last night and this morning i've had no issues at all. I'm going to keep monitoring it but I'm pretty sure i've resolved it.

It's worth trying as it's a pretty easy fix and i'm keen to see if it also helps you.

I logged into my router (192.168.0.1) and disabled Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) and unblocked all of the ports for COD MW manually, you should be able to google them. They will vary depending on what your playing on, xbox, ps4 or PC. 

Let me know if this works for you?

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

DR_

I'll give that a try later, I guess I need to allow other ports for games my boy plays on his xbox? 

I went on last night after 11:00, played sweet as a nut. It does tend to be more problematic when we are both playing at peak times. 

Fingers crossed that works.. 👍🏻 

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Good luck, hope it works. I have the exact same issue. You would indeed have to unblock all the ports, for all of the games you play. UPnP will discover what ports it needs to add to port forwarding for each device you use, I noticed it was only adding 1 port for COD which obviously wouldn't work as there's more than 1 port it communicates over. Only logical explanation was that it was trying to communicate over the other blocked ports, with a congested network it would cause massive latency. I'm just ranting on now.. i'll probably log on later and find I have the same issue so i'll stop here. 

Please don't forget to post if it does fix it, i'm sure there's plenty of other people struggling too. 

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Ok - dont bother doing what I suggested.

Seems to have made a slight improvement but my god its still terrible. Goes to show that its clearly a VM issue, as soon as it hits peak hours its unplayable. Seriously disappointing. 

No post from VM, typical. What a **bleep** service. Think it's time to switch to BT.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear that.. 🤔 

I've seen loads of threads and so many are having this problem.

I've heard engineers come out endless times and the problem still purists. It's just their network can't cope. 

I was advised by a virgin media representative to start my own thread, so my problem could be addressed. Which I did and they haven't replied yet. Hopeless...

Fingers crossed we can get sorted. 

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Yep definitely has to be an overload their side. Sounds like they've over subscribed in certain areas and now everyone is relying on their internet they can't cope. I've never had a reliable service with VM even before the lockdown. 

Good luck on getting your issue solved

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Can you both provide a bqm graph from think broadband?

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

10/11/2010/11/20

As you can see from 4:30pm onwards it becomes pretty bad. And makes online gaming impossible. 

Regards

Mark

0 Kudos