Menu
Viper-t
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Latency/drops?

Can someone please tell me of a good gaming isp with low latency and decent hops as i been with virgin for nearly 20 years at 2 different addresses and its always got high latency in gaming, I have the netgear xr500 got hub3 in modem mode all my geo filter and qos are optimized, I use local servers in Ireland but my hops must be passing pluto as my bqm readings as well as ping trace/plots are full of high latency packet drops ping is higher than it should be, speed tests get to speed after a long long climb struggling to get there, am I missing something i dont think so, my contract is up  and I highered to the 516m broadband which supposed to start in a few days but i dont think it will make any difference at all 350 is more than enough and as you know its not speed what makes gaming better its latency, its still going to be over utilisation yes? Any help would be much appreciated as im sick of this 2020 an all i can get is high latency with the so called fastest company what about giga sites who have better upload speeds too? Cant believe they only do 50 upload with the giga package thats insane we got the worst Internet in the world even france got 100 upstream America 1000 symmetrical up and down we get 50 max im fuming its not cheap either i got a fortnight to cancel so any help would be cool, man all i want is what i pay for an abit of cod in the evening its 2020 dudes help!!!

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Latency/drops?

I use local servers in Ireland

Do you mean you're in Eire or Northern Ireland?  As this is a GB forum there may be a few people with knowledge of Irish ISPs, but overall knowledge will be scant.

If you're on mainland Britain, then your best chance is to go with a smaller Openreach ISP who actually understand telecoms technology and know how to get the best out of Openreach.  AAISP are king of the hill in this respect, and you will pay more for them than other equivalent speed ISPs.  But read their customer reviews and you'll see why.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Viper-t
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

No im in the south west I connect to northern Ireland gaming server with my geo filter router. I dont care if they are a bit more dearer long as its a good connection and not an over sold area where bqm clearly show over utilisation in ALL areas on gamers bqm charts, thanks for the recommendation I will check it tomorrow im definitely leaving now as i just checked my bqms as far back as September an its terrible every day no super hub 4 lies all the time im out many thanks 

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Well good luck, and if you don't go with AAISP, choose an ISP from the right hand side "stars" box of this page

I must confess I've no personal experience of AAISP myself, but my recommendation is not from the web site I've referenced, or online reviews, but from a good number of seriously technically savvy IT friends, colleagues and associates, where there is complete unanimity that if you want a proper ISP who understands their customers technical needs, then AAISP are number one by a country mile.  If you want something cheaper, then I can personally vouch that Zen are very good, but they don't get the glowing tech-savvy accolades as AAISP.

The companies to avoid are (regardless of price and attractive offers) are all the big ISPs - Talktalk, Vodafone, BT/EE/Plusnet, Sky/Now, and anybody rebadging somebody else's service, like Post Office, Shell, and even John Lewis.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Viper-t
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks alot I appreciate some help sick of virgins lies, since it was sold its customer care is non existent but at least the smaller firms will give a .... about us who do our part and stay loyal for years, I dont need massive speeds just a quality connection after all its 2020 not 1990 ofcom says virgin is the worst out of all the big names for latency packet loss another name for greed/over selling.

0 Kudos