Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Latency and ping spikes, packet loss etc. BQM inside

Hi,

I've been experiencing severe lag when playing Apex Legends, which reports ping spikes and constant packet loss. I've included my BQM below.

Is anyone able to offer some insight and/or a solution please?

My Broadband Ping - My VM

Happy to provide more info if it will be helpful.

Thanks

Will

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latency and ping spikes, packet loss etc. BQM inside

Come on the rest of you, I've done far more than my share of this particular flavour recently!

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I think there's a mass problem at the mo, I havent been able to talk to anyone about it.. Any ideas how to set up my BQM on my SH3? I just get a solid red bar and no idea how to get it working when it used to.. 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/Random-Latency-issues/m-p/4492177#M62997

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I’m afraid I don’t know, the BQM just worked automatically for me with the suggested settings. I’m not sure what the poster above you is talking about.

Looking at some of the other posts here this does appear to be affecting lots of people though, hopefully someone will be able to comment further.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Since nobody else wants to say it, I'll have to make the inevitable comment.  I was hoping somebody else would stick their oar in, because I've seen so many of these problems lately I'm rather tired of having to come up with the same gloomy prognosis.  Sadly your problem is so prevalent at the moment I've got most of the following set as a macro:

Your BQM shows a typical over-utilisation pattern.  Over-utilisation is VM-speak for having more traffic on your local network than the equipment can handle.  You see how it's very poor during normal waking hours, and then peachy from about half past midnight to 9 am? Shows that the network and your hub are working perfectly when there isn't too much traffic. You can choose to believe whether this is Covid related, or whether VM simply sell contracts until (and indeed after) the local network is at capacity, but the outcome is the same for now.

Nothing you can do to improve matters. In some areas VM do indeed undertake work to rejig the local networks to balance loads and eliminate over-utilisation. But sometimes that's either not possible, or judged uneconomic if there's a need to spend money on more equipment. And sadly VM won't ever admit the truth, so there will probably be a fault reference and a "fix date", but there's no way of knowing if that fix date is actually backed by an actual plan of action and programme of works. Quite often it seem not, and as the fix date approaches it is simply moved a month or two ahead.

There is a little glimmer of hope, that as and when your area is upgraded to DOCSIS 3.1, and sufficient customers are using the Hub 4, then that ought to improve matters for some people, but this could be many months, even a year or two hence. Simply having a Hub 4 on its own won't improve matters, and although VM aren't saying so, I suspect that even after D3.1 is active, a significant proportion of customers on an over-utilised segment would have to be using the Hub 4 before the benefits start to appear.

Your options:

1) Sit it out, and hope that either VM do carry out improvement works, or that this is a temporary thing caused by Covid and it resolves itself if and when we get back to normality, or that VM get D3.1 live and that tactic actually does work.  If you're already in a D3.1 area, then (in theory) it is simply waiting for the Hub 4's to be installed and their collective benefit to hopefully materialise, sometimes does, sometimes it doesn't..

2) Get yourself a new ISP. If you're in a fixed term contract you'll probably have to use the VM complaints process (and arbitration at CISAS if need be) to try and be released from contract without penalty.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, I did see a couple of other posts after I posted mine and wondered if it was the same. I appreciate you taking the time to take a look.

I will contact support and get their take.

At the risk of throwing good money after bad though... I live in a Gig1 area, presumably I could sidestep this issue by signing up for that and moving to D3.1? Or is that not how it works?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

At the risk of throwing good money after bad though... I live in a Gig1 area, presumably I could sidestep this issue by signing up for that and moving to D3.1? Or is that not how it works?

If you buy more "speed" you're getting greater bandwidth for you, but that on its own does nothing to improve latency. 

D3.1 along with most customers on your local segment using the Hub 4 may be part of the solution over the next few months - unless the over-utilisation is greater than the increase in capacity that D3.1 permits, in which case who knows how long it will take VM to fix it - sometimes they never do and rely on customer losses to bring traffic down.  And if you've locked yourself into a new, pricey 18 month contract, you might not be too happy if VM took 6 months or longer to address the over-utilisation.

Many people try and increase their speed to overcome latency problems, and sadly they are just throwing money away.  And you'd get a Hb 4, which can work fine, but is also the source of many an varied complaints.

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Gotcha, thanks again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

2327 20112020.png

I've just got it working, think the IP changed so I made a new one, I'm guessing this BQM suggests over utilization as well??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Difficult to say without a full 24 hours, and probably looking at several days in succession.  Initially it looks marginally better (although still poor for gaming and videocall applications).  Possibly that's an outcome of some network reconfiguration, and the remaining effects will drain away as Hub 4's become more widespread.  If that is the case and it eliminates the problem, you might feel that VM have done a credible job - albeit fixing a problem they were largely responsible for creating.  My view is that the total absence of any communication is exceptionally poor, and also means that we can't even be sure that VM have done anything, or this is just an incidental improvement that will revert back to the previous unpleasantness.

Your BQM image won't be approved by the moderators for general visibility because you've screen-shotted or copied an image of the BQM when logged in to TBB, and it shows your IP address.  I can preview unmoderated images which is why I can see it.  The best way to share a BQM is to click on one of the links to share a graph, hit generate, and then copy and paste a link into a reply here.

0 Kudos