Menu
Cenner15
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Latency and ping issues

Hi All,

I'm having ping/latency issues when playing games online. 

PC is cabled so not WIFI related. 

Ping to 8.8.8.8 varies by about 10 m/s and a friends is better despite him having a non fibre connection. 

I'm on a Hub 3.0 and its getting on in age, wondering if its the hub that needs updating to a newer model or if there is an issue on the network? 

Up and down speeds are both fine 200 down/20 up consistently.

any help would be appreciated. 

Dave

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latency and ping issues

Simple ping results don't tell us much, and +10ms difference isn't going to make a blind bit of difference to your gaming experience.  But if your gaming experience is poor, it may be down to a latency issue, so set up a Broadband Quality Monitor, and that'll keep track of your connection quality.  The data won't show much for the first 24 hours, but when there's a full chart, post a link (not a screenshot) to a "shared snapshot" chart.

From that we can start taking a view on whether you have a VM-related latency issue or not, and consider possible further lines of investigation.  If the BQM comes back healthy, then your problem is not due to your broadband connection, and could be gaming server capacity/capability, internet traffic routing, technical problems on internet traffic switching.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latency and ping issues

Your friends is better because DSL-based providers are much better for response times than cable is, Virgin is meant for speed, not response times. 

Saying that, 10ms isn't going to make any difference to your gaming experience, but if you are getting ping spikes then it will impact your gaming experience. 

Once your BQM is up we'll see if that's the problem. 

0 Kudos