Menu
Eoin2021
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Latency and packet loss

Hi guys , but of an issue here , I have 1GB BB with a hub 4 router , I’ve had previous hub with no issues , I’m finding now that when I’m playing on line I keep having to restart the router cause I have really bad lag worse on 5gz then 2.4gz , I’ve had an engineer out to have a look and he said it’s working fine but I can see from the forums a lot of ppl are having the same issues with hub 4 router please help 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
TrueVerdict
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latency and packet loss

ok....

your first mistake is gaming on wifi....

get plugged in with an ethernet cable then report your experience

wifi is terrible period - doesnt amtter what router/network/isp... it sucks...

but once you understand -that it is just a radio signal having to move from a router to a device you will understand than gaming on it is pants because the technology just cannot support your demands and combat the invisible interference that is present in your home-you will have a stress free lifestyle
--------------------------------------------------------------
If you find my responses help or amuse you in any way, please cheer me up and give me some Kudos - - - - Services: Hub3 500mb speedtest.net result 22 Jan 2021 = 550mb down / 36mb up Ping 12
0 Kudos
Eoin2021
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

it’s not just the  WiFi ?  . It’s not just when I game either , it’s also plugged into my tv and sky box and I have to do the same with them . Constantly losing signal and having to reset 

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Gaming over WiFi can sometimes create problems, but usually the latency overhead is tiny, around 7ms, although that will go up a touch if other people are using wireless at the same time.  On account of radio signals traveling at the speed of light, that overhead is merely the processing of the wireless signal, and that's trivial unless it is compounding other more serious latency issues.  The VM hubs don't offer any QoS capability, but any decent third party mesh or router will, and that will keep wireless latency low. 

But if you are having more extensive problems it is probably a broadband issue. Connect to the hub at http://192.168.0.1/  That should pull up the log in page for the hub.  But don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  Open the Downstream tab.  Select all the text (Ctrl-A if using a keyboard), copy it (Ctrl-C), then paste it (Ctrl-V) into a reply here.  Post that, do the same for the Upstream and Network log.  You'll get an error message when you post the Network log, just click on "post" a second time.

Then we can check for any obvious problems with power, noise or error counts.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Eoin2021
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

B35DEFC7-4E3E-4985-903C-51158042B13E.png

 it’s not a speed issue , it seems to be a delayed packet issue , I was onto tech support this morning and they are sending me a new hub 

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

...which won't fix the problem. 

Sending out a replacement hub is an easy way of doing something when the agent doesn't know what the problem is.  On the assumption that when you called they checked the hub's status, read the network log, and checked for an area fault, and there's nothing of note in those, the next most probable cause of poor latency is over-utilisation.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks