Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Latency and packet loss

I posted this on another thread and something similar on another thread and I've been requested to start my own thread.

I'm having major problems with call of duty(The only game I play). Getting to a stage where I can't play it anymore. The only time it seems to improve is the early hours of the morning. 

I know it's not the COD servers because when I experience problems my boy does on fortnite, plus other games on his Xbox. We are both wired straight to the hub.

Some days, it doesn't seem too bad. But it's getting more frequent now.

Leads me to believe its not technical problem just not enough bandwidth.

Paying for a service I can't use. I've got a superhub 4 which I can't even optimize because the app doesn't support it yet. 

Any advice would greatly be apricated. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latency and packet loss

You added a BQM to a reply in somebody else's thread - add it here (and ideally post a link to shared graph, not an image).

The problem with piling into somebody else's thread is that although it sounds like you've got the same problem, that's not always the case and the fix often varies.  When the original poster's issue gets resolved, the thread gets ignored, added to which it is a nightmare for the forum helpers and VM staff trying to concurrently respond to several people with different data and problem background in the same thread.

I must say that the BQM you posted looks to me like both a noisy line AND over-utilisation (unless forum staff can advise of another resolvable problem that's affecting your connection?).  If my suspicions are correct, that's a bad combination, and probably is not going to be fixed quickly.  The BQM shows a typical over-utilisation pattern - you see how it's very poor during normal waking hours, and then (in your case) vaguely adequate from about half past midnight to 9 am? Shows that the network and your hub are working much better when there isn't too much traffic, albeit not perfectly. Nothing you can do to improve matters. In some areas VM do indeed undertake work to rejig the local networks to balance loads and eliminate over-utilisation. But sometimes that's either not possible, or judged uneconomic if there's a need to spend money on more equipment. And sadly VM won't ever admit the truth, so there may be a fault reference and a "fix date", but there's no way of knowing if that fix date is actually backed by an actual plan of action and programme of works. 

There is a little glimmer of hope, that as and when your area is upgraded to DOCSIS 3.1 (the tech that also supports gigabit connections), and sufficient customers are using the Hub 4, then that ought to improve matters, but this could be many months, even a year or two hence, and if you've still got a noisy line the Hub 4 may initially makes things worse as it is more demanding of line quality.  Simply having a Hub 4 on its own won't improve matters, and although VM aren't saying so, I suspect that even after D3.1 is active, a significant proportion of customers on an over-utilised segment would have to be using the Hub 4 before the benefits start to appear.

To summarise your options:

1) Hope that there's an area or local fault that is causing your problem which is NOT a utilisation issue, that the forum staff can either give you an accurate fix date, or arrange a technician if needed.  

2) If it is a utilisation issue, you can sit it out, and hope that either VM do carry out improvement works, or that they get D3.1 live and hand out Hub 4's like smarties, and that this tactic actually does work.  As noted this could take anything from several months if D3.1 is active, to a couple of years if you're at the back of the D3.1 roll out.

3) Get yourself a new ISP. If you're in a fixed term contract you'll probably have to use the VM complaints process (and arbitration at CISAS if need be) to try and be released from contract without penalty.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andruser

Hope link works ok.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/40d703ecf5b934428918eab39b3c02076e... 

Thank you for your detailed answer, my area is already on 1 gigabit connection, already using hub 4.

The sad part is my boy only goes on his Xbox for gaming from after 4:00pm once his back from school and finished his homework then his off to bed at 9:30pm. Only moved house this year and started a new contract with VM, wasn't a problem at the other house, been a nightmare since we have moved.

May need to escalate this with VM, see if I can cancel my contract, just isn't good enough. Already had to complain about service keep going off. Now this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Let me flag this for the forum staff to advise.  There's something going on here that isn't going to get solved other than by VM, and at least that avoids the misery of trying VM's appallingly managed telephone response.

It is possible that despite being D3.1 and using a Hub 4, either not enough other customers are using the Hub 4, or possibly the congestion was so bad that the D3.1/Hub 4 upgrade doesn't create sufficient additional bandwidth to completely resolve the issue.  I can't find the source, but I've read a technical note that said that D3.1 increased bandwidth by I think 20%.  Because latency hits a brick wall when capacity limit is reached, it is possible that your area is still over-utilised.  If this rather grim scenario is the case, then I've no idea what VM would plan to do given that they are mid rollout.  My guess is "nothing quickly" because that's always been how the company reacts.

But cling to hope for now - over-utilisation is my guess, and I can be and often am wrong.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Hi markyhomer,

Thanks for posting, and very sorry to see you're having some issues with the connection.

I've been able to locate your account using your forum details and can confirm Andruser suspicions are correct. 

you're currently affected by an area congestion issue, fault reference for this is F008507486  and current fix date is 13th November.

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alex, 

Thank you for your response, is there any way I can track the fault/fix?

So I can check my graphs again once the fix is done. 

Regards

Mark

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mark, 

We're happy to give you updates on this here, we'll be able to check the reference number for you 🙂

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 41
Flag for a moderator

13 November?  Well that's good that you won't have to wait long, fingers crossed this is a real fix date.  As I said, sometimes they do fix these things sometimes they don't, and as far as I'm aware the forum staff can see the fix date, they can't see anything behind that, so they've no idea if the networks people are actually beavering away to resolve it, or merely issuing a fault number and going back to surfing the web for funny cat videos. 

You can check you BQM anytime, and it will be very apparent when it is fixed.  There's little or no overhead leaving a BQM running, although check your IP address remains correct - when VM make network changes it sometimes means your IP address changes, and you'd either get 100% packet loss reported, or even worse, be seeing somebody else's BQM.  What you want to see is a BQM like mine (on a good day):

My Broadband Ping - VM number 2

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Cheers, 

I shall keep my fingers crossed. 

I'll keep this thread updated on any progress, thank you for your time.. 👍🏻 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Sorry Andruser,

Meant to click Kudos not answer solved, Don't think I can undo that now.. *Edit Changed it*

0 Kudos