cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency Spikes and Packet Loss In/Out of Peak Times over Ethernet

J4cko
Tuning in

For around a year now I've had problems with my broadband. There are times it's okay and times where it's truly terrible. I work full time and have twin 2-year-olds, and my 'thing' is pc gaming and it really helps with my mentality. But not when I'm having ping spikes from 30ms to 300ms for over 10 seconds, and packet loss on a regular basis, causing me to quit out. This eve happens out of peak times, such as 13:00 or even 15:00. Also, I'm always connected via Cat8 ethernet.

I'm running the Hub 3 in modem mode and using a TP-Link Archer A7 as the router. Speeds are fantastic, it's just the stability.We don't have many devices on our router, so It can't be bandwidth. I feel there's an issue with my lines externally

Has anyone else had these problems? If so, did you manage to fix them yourself? Or was an engineer required?

6 REPLIES 6

AngryJackedJoe
Dialled in

Hi Jacko,

I think i am on a mission (pretty angry atm). Check out the couple of top forum posts already going:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/Constant-rubberbanding-Issue/td-p/4977955

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/High-Latency-since-March/td-p/4986793

Probably exactly the issues you are having.
And if you havent already sign up to the https://www.thinkbroadband.com/ monitoring where you can share and compare the graphs you see on here.

(i am wired too FYI, the issue 'could be' Virgins network)

Chiaration
Tuning in

480128a94f39b676ec5721afe87662747ebb97f3.png

I can't even spend the weekend playing some online games. It's impossible with these packet loss that keeps happening...

J4cko_1-1651493354003.png

Bro, look at this, honestly, it's appalling. I can't get access to ANY OTHER fiber service than Virgin in my area, so I'm stuck with this and Virgin must know that. I'm getting on the phone asap tomorrow and seeing if they can do absolutely anything, and If I'm told to do a f***** pin reset I'll throw the hub 3 out the window.

Mate, i feel for you. I have the same deal.

I opened a complaint too, which is going nowhere fast but its enjoyable keeping it updated and having no one respond. Will throw it at some ombudsman at some point and see what can be done.

If my issue keeps going on, i am going to keep booking engineers. Had two so far, second one did correct my levels but the issue is NETWORK!!! So... its stuck somewhere but nowhere where the customer gets an update.

I tried on social media/twitter but ended up here with the rest of you, having hopes and dreams crushed hoping that something will be done.

If your going to book an engineer, dont do it via the faults team either (unless you keen on off shore support and want them to keep repeating the same painful pointless questions/process), do it via the disconnections. And start the conversation with, please read the notes on my account before we start this conversation.

So I'll call up with the intention of disconnecting from VM which would prompt them to take more drastic actions to solve my issues. Would like an engineer for sure, I think my SuperHub 3 needs a replacement or something.

I honestly think I'd have a smoother gaming experience on ADSL with Plusnet. Genuinely fed up with not being able to spend my free time doing what I want, with what I pay for.

You can use disconnections for complaints updates, and yeah well trying to leave, but also ongoing issues and getting an engineer out.

I been pondering the same about ADSL but i only changed to the 1GB October so... i need Virgin to fix it (preferred), drop me, or get out via a clause. Getting well wound up with is messing with my gaming.