Menu
Zuds
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Latency, Spikes, High Ping and Disconnecting issues

Mostly play rocket league at high level and lag really doesn't help a game that relies on physics heavily. How can i fix this issue? I'm really not educated on anything to do with network issues so you might have to walk me through a couple things. Also if i'm missing any info that's vital let me know.

Thanks guys 😄

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latency, Spikes, High Ping and Disconnecting issues

Is this wired or wireless connections to the hub?

Could you access your router using http://192.168.0.1/ . Don't log in, select the 'Check Router Status' option and paste your 'Downstream', 'Upstream', and 'Network Log' tabs?

0 Kudos
Zuds
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Downstream.pngVirgin Upstream.pngVirgin Network.png   Im also on wired but it doesnt go straight to my router but it goes to some booster thingy, idk what it is sorry.

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Zuds Your image of the log has been rejected as it contains your WAN IP address and this is against the forum rules, to protect your privacy.  If you copy and paste the log the forum should auto censor the IP address for you.

It would be best to try a test connected directly to the hub to rule out any issues with the “booster thingy”. This is one of the first things that VM support will ask you to do.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Zuds,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

Sorry to see you're having some issues with connection. 

I've checked the hub and everything from our sides looks to be within the specifications we would expect.

Are you able to do as SCA1972 has suggested and connect your device directly to the hub?

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Zuds
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately that isnt possible to plug it right into my router. Also forgot to add my download speed is either 500KB/s or around 10MB/s. Lastly for some time now when playing games i disconnect for the server of that game for around 5 seconds. But the weird thing is this issue comes and goes because for a month i was disconnecting very regularly even 8 times in one match but then this issue disappeared for like 3 months and now it is back. (im the only one who disconnects even when playing with my brother who is on a wifi connection).

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

If you are the only one in your household that disconnects and you are the only one connecting via the “booster thingy” then it looks likely that the booster, or your electrical wiring used by the booster, is where the fault lies. The only way to prove that is to take it out of the equation and test while connected direct to the hub.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Zuds
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately, thats not going to be possible, i could try another booster thingy. Is it possible that is really the cause of most of my latency/lag issues? 

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Zuds wrote:

Unfortunately, thats not going to be possible, i could try another booster thingy. Is it possible that is really the cause of most of my latency/lag issues? 

It is possible that a fault with the booster is the issue. It is also possible that noise on your internal electrical wiring is causing problems for the booster and getting another booster may not resolve the issue. Mobile phone chargers are infamous for generating noise on electrical circuits. Some boosters cope with noise better than others.

If others in your household are not experiencing the same issue and VM’s checks are showing no issues, then the fault almost certainly lies with your device or the way it is connecting to the hub. If you can’t, at least temporarily, connect direct to the hub then it is impossible to rule out the booster or noise on your electrical circuit as the cause of your issue.

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Zuds,

I've scrutinised your network details and checked the CMTS detail to be thorough and cannot find any problems at all. Please take a look at @SCA1972 post above so we can think out of the box and let us know how you get on so we can check again.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos