Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Latency Issues on SuperHub

So recently I've been playing games such as Overwatch and GTA but the ping in the games is around 180ms but does this randomly, at other points it's normal around 40ms. This happens near enough every day at this point, making it very difficult to play online games. Quite frustrating when friends are with BT and are getting 30ms and no spikes.

Virgin Media Connection

I have a SuperHub 1 and run direct to the PC and have the 70mbps package.
Any help?
Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latency Issues on SuperHub

Note: Can't yet see your graphic, presumably awaiting moderator approval.

If it is always a similar time of day that you experience the problem, there's a good chance it is down to traffic levels.  That could be on the servers you are playing on, on the routing to those servers or your local segment of VM's network.  Whilst not proof, if friends are playing the same game at similar times with no problem, then it is PROBABLY a traffic issue on the VM network. 

Much as I condemn VM over many things, I'll give them credit for doing a lot of work to resolve segment and node congestion over recent years.  All of which makes me think that there's a possibility that you're on a busy part of the network, and your ancient Superhub is possibly the cause of the problem.  Older hubs use fewer channels, that puts more traffic through those they do use, and historically was a major contributor to network congestion, which hits both speed and latency.  I'd suggest that you wait for the mods to pick this up, and see if they can get your hub replaced with the Hub 3.  Don't worry about the scare stories of latency problems - it isn't perfect, but the Puma problem is now fixed, and it is a useful improvement on older hubs.  You're unlikely to have much luck with the dreadful, over-subscribed and technically inept overseas call centre, so I'd be wary of trying to get help there. 

You might also want to consider asking for a loyalty discount and a package upgrade - they haven't sold 70 Mbps speeds for years and years, so chances are you're paying whatever VM want to frisk from "disengaged" customers.  To do this, dial 150 from a VM line, and then navigate options to "thinking of leaving", and that will connect you to the UK based "Retentions" call centre (you might have to briefly deal with offshore if your telephone password needs a reset).  If you're happy on 70, whilst you almost certainly don't need the download speed of 200, that package now comes with a 20 Mbps upload, which might be worth considering.  There's some stonkingly good deals if you upgrade to the big fastest fattest deals including TV packages, but obviously if you take those, you need to think ahead to when the discount expires.  If you change your package you'll have another 12 month minimum contract (not a problem if you've been with VM since the days of 70?), and any discount normally sticks for 18 months, after which you flick onto "standard pricing" unless you ring and renegotiate.  Check what Sky and BT are offering to new customers before talking to VM, though - I'm normally recommending against both of those companies, but if you're discussing deals with VM, you want the leverage of knowing what somebody else would charge a new customer for a similar package.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You have a super hub 1 in router mode? You need to reboot it once a day or use it in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BQM, Test for outgoing ports and L2TP VPN test
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you both for your responses, after seeing this it's making me think that it is also a traffic issue at certain points in the day. However some of the times seem a bit random for traffic. Had it happen today with the 180ms in games again. I knew the SH1 was outdated but didn't realise that it could potentially cause this. I'll take this into consideration and wait for the mods - Thanks.

Superhub 1 normally gets turned off and restarted in the morning and still encounter this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Still getting up to 200ms latency in games every other day currently ^

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Maybe you have something downloading or uploading causing latency to go high in which case you need a router with QoS.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BQM, Test for outgoing ports and L2TP VPN test
0 Kudos