Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Latency Issues ... Still not fixed after Engineer Visit

Morning All,

Has anyone has this issue repaired? 

One of the Forum admins had a engineer sent out to me next day after posting on here .. Fair play I can not fault that service. The engineer was here over an hour checked everything , changed the router, cabling and lowered the signal strength as it was strong. 

I showed him all my BQM and some friends ones who are also with virgin media. We sat and ran tests and pings and he agreed that there was an issue as some of the pings coming back form tests were higher then they should be.

He then phoned the NOC and asked about congestion on the network in my area which he said there was none as it was only 20%. 

I normally have my router in Modem mode which he was confused as I seem to get a different IP depending if its in modem or router mode. Its Currently back in Router mode for sorting out the fault issue.

So I am now at a loss. The BQM shows there is a issue the two red strips are a cable change and then a router change, as you can see form the attached BQM. My ping and packet loss is not the great in rainbow six.

There is also nothing else plugged into my router apart form my PC which has been off most of the time.

anyone else got any ideas?

Cheers!VM 09072020.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latency Issues ... Still not fixed after Engineer Visit

Notwithstanding that the company maintain that there is no congestion in your area, your BQM* shows a pattern that looks very much like over-utilisation.  I can't be certain that's the cause, but if the company are insisting that they've checked all cabling, power and noise levels are sorted, and you're still getting what the BQM proves are complete service drop outs and latency routinely spiking above 160ms, then I can't see that it is going to be fixed, and I regret it may be time to consider other ISPs.  

* Your BQM image is awaiting moderation as it is an image, but I can preview it. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I am at the point of a new ISP. There is clearly issues with the network which they are either ignoring as they don't know what the issue is or know how to fix. I don't want to be treated like a User as a normal user would not care about these issues for streaming netflix and playing candy crush on their tablet etc. They should just let some of the NOC people actually work with users who actually do the same job as them for different companies and work this out or just come out and tell the truth its just not good customer service.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Just look around these forums, it's a joke. I haven't seen one person fix the issue yet. Had to move to Plusnet because the issues are so bad. Going from 300mbps to 36 will be painful but I can't carry on with VM. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The issue won't get fixed i'm afraid. Sounds like you've had the most extensive Engineer visit out of the lot and you've still got issues. Over Utilisation that VM haven't fixed and won't fix for the future. People here have been like this for 3-4 months. Best bet is to change ISP, it's the only thing you can do. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If you do decide to change ISP, I suggest you overlap them by a week BEFORE cancelling VM so that if the new install is delayed you're not without internet, and also so that if there's any problems with performance of the new ISP that make it as bad or worse than VM you have a viable 14 day cancellation option.

I always encourage people leaving VM to consider the smaller ISPs that have consistently offered better customer service and technical support (AAISP, Aquiss, IDNet, Zen Internet, uno).  For several of these you can phone the provisioning team directly (or the sales team will happily connect you) so that you can discuss the likely availability, speed and performance of service, whereas with the likes of Vodafone, Talktalk, Sky etc, you'll likely find it impossible to speak to anyone who understands broadband and isn't following a call centre script.

And before signing with any new ISP, check their customers' feedback on Trustpilot, compare that to Virgin Media's on the same site, and draw your own conclusions.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos