Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Latency Issues Gaming on VM Solved **clickbait**

Having issues on VM Gaming due to packet loss and latency spikes. Here's how to resolve that issue, kind of ... head in hands as I write this. Clearly your not going to like this ... uh-uuh not one bit. It involves tethering your 4G mobile phone to your PC ... erm if your a filthy console gamer you'll need to have a PC and configure it as a gateway for your console. Then you have to configure the firewall on the PC to block the games traffic specifically on your LAN's ethernet interface, this should allow non-game traffic to use the LAN and by extension Virgin Media, and force game traffic over 4G. With a data rate of 100MB per CS:GO match your looking at 10 games per gig of data allowance, so if your on a limited plan like myself use them wisely!

OK so the post is half in jest ... but if you do have a contract with say unlimited data it might actually work for you if your having latency issues gaming on VM. Tried it last night got ping circa 40 which mehh is playable.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latency Issues Gaming on VM Solved **clickbait**

I was expecting Rick Astley...........

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

And if you ask me how I'm feeling

Don't tell me you're too blind to see

There we go!

Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

This is actually how I'm "getting around" the issue. I have an unlimited Vodafone 4G+ plan and I use USB Tethering to link my phone up to my computer and play things like Apex Legends, Modern Warfare, etc.

Pings are marginally higher than what I'd get on a wired connection, but because there's no packet loss and very little jitter, my games actually become playable!

I should not have to resort to tethering to play games on a £25 a month phone package because my £82.99 a month connection (after discount) can't manage it!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I am also doing this... 3 mobile in my area (has relatively bad reception) but seems to provide better service than my 350mbps virgin connection during the day. I can only reliably play FPS games after 11pm at night on my broadband connection... 

0 Kudos