Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Latency Issue

Hi i keep getting horrible latency spikes whilst im gaming i dunno if its because of the lock down or what really need this resolved i signed up to vm because of there high speed and latency superiority now i cant even play a game without lagging help?

Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latency Issue

i signed up to vm because of there high speed and latency superiority

If this was for gaming, then joining VM was a mistake because all you need for gaming in speed terms is 5 Mbps down (and the same up if you insist on "twitching").  And latency never has been, and never will be VM's strength, because compared to an Openreach VDSL line, VM's DOCSIS technology introduces both higher average latency and more spiking.  Obviously the speed (bandwidth) advantage is useful if you need to download a humungous new game or update, but even then a 50 Mbps Openreach line would be fine.

Having said that, if your VM connection is working properly you should be able to game OK, and it is possible that gaming latency issues are outside the VM network (EA servers seem to struggle every few months, for example).  I suggest you visit Thinkbroadband, create an account, setup a Broadband Quality Monitor, let that run, and then paste the results here.  Then we'll know what the extent of latency problems are on your connection.   You may also wish to connect to your hub, select "check router status" and post the contents of the Downstream, Upstream and Network logs tabs here - I don't know if there is even a problem in there, but we can take a look.

And finally, if you're gaming on a wireless connection (a) try not to, and (b) if you have to you'd need to thoroughly optimise your wifi settings.  That'll add a further circa 13 ms to the baseline latency of your connection.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi im using a wired connection, here js my graph thanks for trying to to resolve this issue for me.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/c3321666663b5c694adb1fe1fe64a5f782...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'm afraid that your BQM is pretty normal for VM connections.  The three high spikes are unwelcome (but not atypical) but there's only three in 24 hours so they're not going to materially harm your gaming.  That yellow fringing is what I mean about cable having worse latency than Openreach, sometimes it's a little bit reduced, sometimes a bit worse, but it is ALWAYS there on cable connections

Here's my connection from a few days ago (red is when hub was off overnight):

My Broadband Ping - VM number 2

And here's a relative's 35 Mbps Openreach line that I keep an eye on.

My Broadband Ping - Bretforton

Bear in mind that there are other causes of lag when gaming - what the BQM shows is the connection from TBB's London servers to your hub, but if you're gaming on (say) EA, then you may be connecting to servers in mainland Europe, which will have additional latency due to distance and switching, but also far more opportunity for traffic routing issues, and that's before you consider whether the distant gaming server is operating optimally.

Moving to a different ISP isn't going to be a cure-all for lag, not to mention that your reaction time is going to be 250ms.  But for gamers, Openreach is always worth serious consideration because the connection quality is usually better, and based on recent experience, Openreach is notably more reliable than VM.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for taking your time to break it down for me much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi andres88, thanks for your post. 

Sorry to hear you've been having issues with your connection when gaming. As a gamer that uses a VM connection I can confirm that it's not normal to experience lag that impacts things so badly. I'd like to see what we can do to help improve things for you. 

Firstly, what gaming platform are you using, and have you noticed if this is impacting all games/servers or just one in particular? 

Which hub do you have, and do are you using it in router mode - or in modem mode using a 3rd party router? 

What speed are you subscribed to - and how many devices are connected sharing the bandwidth?

Looking forward to hearing back,

Tom

0 Kudos