Menu
umuni
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Latency / IND high on games

hi! so for the past week or so my latency and ind has been unreasonably high. i can't play the newest COD, Overwatch and a bundle of other multiplayer games.

the broadband literally decides when it doesn't want to work and its kind of annoying since is the hub 4 ? it'd be nice if someone can give me a fix to this because its becoming unbearable lmao

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Latency / IND high on games

@umuni hi! so for the past week or so my latency and ind has been unreasonably high. i can't play the newest COD, Overwatch and a bundle of other multiplayer games.

I suspect that those two elements are linked.  As others seem to be finding.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
umuni
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

ah okay, so its over-utilisation @andruser ?

how do i go around fixing this issue? i'm autistic and gaming is the easiest way i have little stress being holed up at home

0 Kudos
umuni
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

ok so as posted in the thread, i split the 2ghz and 5ghz, but we're still having problems with the latency and ind!
i tried checking everything and i did a diagnostic and it came back as 

"Your home network has a few problems."

so now what should i do? do i need to send you any info?

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

All comments in last two replies noted.

Sadly nobody has a scooby what the cryptic messages from VM's customer diagnostics mean - personally I think they're just a web script, not linked to any systems, the internet or VM's network, just to a file containing a look-up table of responses and a randomised response picker.  A sort of digital misfortune cookie, if you will.

If I'm right about over-utilisation, then:

(a) there's nothing you can do about it with VM, and at this point in time there's little-to-no likelihood of VM taking action.  With a Covid vaccine in the offing, VM's network people are thinking "Praise be to the Lord!  All those home workers will beggar off back to the office, and our network traffic levels will reduce, along with all the complaints and over-utilisation issues"..  

(b) given the sudden onset it may be game and console related should resolve itself, and all customers so affected will have to be patient.  With high chances of gifted consoles and games at Christmas, I'd expect network issues to quieten down over the next six weeks, and then briefly flare up between Christmas and New Year.  But that's a complete guess.

(c) and if you aren't prepared to sit it out, then you'd need to switch ISPs.  But you would need to do your research to establish if the alternatives (most likely Openreach ISPs) are free of local over-utilisation (contention) problems, you'd have to be out of a fixed term VM contract to avoid paying exorbitant early termination fees, and you'd have all the joy of choosing and getting installed a new internet connection.  Sky, Talktalk, BT/Plusnet and Vodafone would not be names to consider.

But before you do anything, maybe we should see what you latency on your VM connection is actually doing?  Sometimes gaming latency isn't on VM's network, and is down to internet routing problems or gaming server issues.  Set up a BQM, let that run for 24 hours, and then post a link to a shared graph. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
umuni
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

here's the link! its a live graph

my mom refuses to acknoledge something is wrong with our wifi, so she turned it off around midnight and probably turned it back on for work 😕 wish she hadn't because then i'd be able to show you something.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Well, from what I can see there's no evidence at all of over-utilisation.  There's a bit of spikeyness around 10pm, but I can assure you other people are seeing far, far worse.  And as for today's, it's looking fairly good.

My guess now (unless new evidence comes to light) is that the problems you report were with either internet traffic routing or gaming server performance issues, possibly related to the game and console releases of late.

0 Kudos
umuni
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

possibly! i'll let you know if anything else goes wrong
thanks so much!
0 Kudos