Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Lagging but high download and upload!

Hi all,

Just thought I'd come to here now, have contacted Virgin about my lagging whilst gaming and pretty much been told there's nothing that can be done.

I have attached an image of a speedtest, which most will notice, seems extremely high, so why would I have an issue? I've tried looking into this deeper and it seems across my internal network I do have an extremely high jitter, also when gaming amount of packets lost is way higher than it should be.

Speed.PNG

I do use Sonos devices and Phillips hue across the house and has seen that sometimes these can cause a higher amount of traffic across your internal network, so left these off for a few days to see if the issue would clear up, but it didn't.

I have also ran my PC directly into the router using a cat6 ethernet cable, and still receiving lagging issues, also jitter can sometimes be as high as 120ms on speedtests! 

Understand here that it may just be game servers that are what are causing lag, but I have friends on PC, PS4 and Xbox. We've all been in games together and they've had no issues at all, and I'm bouncing around the map.

Any help on this is appreciated, let me know if you can help if I send over any router stats etc, pulling my hair out with this one and want to try and get to the bottom of it.

Thanks,

Kiefer-joe

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lagging but high download and upload!

Sorry to be the one to give you the bad news but the response you will get, like the rest of us have been given so far from VM, is they will not help and you have just got to wait until the lockdown is over as that is what causing it (presume issues started around 3weeks ago?) Dozens and dozens of threads with people now having the same issue. VM are useless. I’m at work at the moment and just keep my eyes on the forums in *hope* that they at least formally acknowledge the issues. 

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi,

Yes unfortunately what Mrfuzzwig said is true. While there is lee way for utilisation. But the large amount all day every day very high demand so quickly has taken a big impact on the Virgin Network.

Only the worst affected areas are focused on improving since there are obviously less staff working and cut services down to essential only.

Feel free to send me a PM with your Account Number and Area Reference and I'll check if this is the case.

To send me a Private Message just simply click the link below:

Click Here 

If I've helped in any way, please give me Kudos and mark my response as a helpful answer!

Fancy £50 off your bill? Ask me how and you might just get it!

I am a Service Field Technician at Virgin. However, all responses on here are based on my experiences in the field alone and my own equipment at home and should be taken as such

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Having this issue since december so i will not be taking this as the case. Yout subscriptions should handle all thats onboard otherwise you should not be selling it. U dont asume that every2 is working it should be coped to the capacity you sell. My issue is ridiculous so no the pandemic isnt to blame. I know a ton of people sith vm and in a large built up area and no isues at all gaming. I live in a quiet area old folks who probably know what internet is or u as a matter of fact and it isnt coping. Slow speeds. Lag latency. Dropouts is shocking and ur techs have had 5 visits and cannot lower my upstream. Its stuck to the max and leave me in the dark all this time. I know more than they do. Your tech visit today isnt trained either he admitted it. What the hell is that about? 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi @lukescully 

If you are having a similar issue, feel free to send me a PM with your Account Number and Area Reference and I'll look into this for you.

To send me a Private Message just simply click the link below:

Click Here 

If I've helped in any way, please give me Kudos and mark my response as a helpful answer!

Fancy £50 off your bill? Ask me how and you might just get it!

I am a Service Field Technician at Virgin. However, all responses on here are based on my experiences in the field alone and my own equipment at home and should be taken as such

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos