Menu
tsiken
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Lag

I am experiencing persistent lag on most games, especially noticeable in first person shooters and in the evenings. Broadband quality monitor shows same issues with high latency and dropped packets on a daily basis. Restarting or resetting hub does nothing and am connected directly to the hub with Cat7 ethernet cable. Quite disappointed with my M350 package ever since it was installed in March, issues persisting since then. 

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lag

Setup a BQM,

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

Then post a link to a shared, live graph.  That'll start displaying in real time, but it's usually 24 hours before there's enough data to conclude much.  That should tell us if there's lag on your VM connection (as opposed to outside of VM's control), and also tell us something about possible causes and solutions.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

tsiken
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for your reply. I have had a BQM going since I installed virgin back in March. The link to my shared graph is 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/29ddce50671831c2544b8165a8f23fa23e...

I have also attached a screenshot of my BQM from Monday when I originally posted my concern. Thank you for your help, I hope I can get this resolved.

lag.png 

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Looks like over-utilisation.  Which usually means that chances are it is not going to be fixed any time soon, as adding capacity is usually complex and expensive, and from VM's point of view there's not good enough return on investment in many cases.  Sometimes VM do invest to resolve over-utilisation.  There may be a fault reference and a "fix date", but there's no way of knowing if that fix date is actually backed by an actual plan of action and programme of works. Quite often it seems not, and as the fix date approaches it is simply moved a month or two ahead.  Your options:

1) Sit it out, and hope that VM do carry out improvement works.  

2) Get yourself a new ISP. If you're in a fixed term contract you'll probably have to use the VM complaints process (and arbitration at CISAS if need be) to try and be released from contract without penalty.  If you do this, be prepared for the complaint and arbitration process to take a long time.  And before committing, check out any new ISP's customer reviews on Trustpilot and ISPReview, and at least give serious considerations to the smaller customer focused ISPs like AAISP, uno, Aquiss, IDNet, CIX, Zen Internet.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks