Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Lag, high latency

Hi,

My son games on his ps4 and has never had a problem with lag before it started around 10 days ago. We have ran a speed test and the download speed is what has been promised in the package. The upload speed is around 10 mbps as well so all is well. Its just there seems to be some jitter, it went to around 41ms and high ping of around 50ms. I've seen a lot of similar posts so I was just wondering if its on virgins end or anything else. It just seems to be gaming, can watch YouTube, TV and everything else but gaming is almost unplayable. Like I said it has only happened recently for the first time.

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lag, high latency

Could be a number of things.  The reference to ten days makes me wonder if this is over-utilisation caused by higher network traffic during our latest lockdown (VM have a press release mentioning their highest ever levels of network traffic).  If that is the case, then it'll persist until this lockdown ends (and return if we have another lockdown).

You can setup a BQM and once there's 24 hours of data we can offer some thoughts on what that shows.  Don't post a BQM as a screenshot or copied image, just post a link to a shared graph. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I’m encountering the exact same problem, not getting the same download and upload speed as the package promises but it is enough for online gaming. Huge spikes in ping are causing the lag. Virgin media say there are no know issues in my area except with TV, wish they would just acknowledge that there is a problem, the outage maps from independent websites have the whole of the U.K lit up so I guess we just have to wait and see if they fix it.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The latency just is so high and even getting dropped packets. This has never happened before even during the first lockdown this never happened. This is clearly a problem with virgin and they are doing nothing about it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Wish they would just admit that there is a problem, don’t even want to try calling them, all I have heard is bad things about getting through...

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I am still waiting to get into contact with someone from virgin. I have tried calling and couldn't get through. I am even on the live chat put it is just a bot saying I will get through to someone soon. It just takes too long to contact someone. I hope someone will contact me on the forums soon.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Your BQM shows a typical over-utilisation pattern - you see how it's very poor during normal waking hours, and then good from about half past midnight to 9 am? Shows that the network and your hub are working well when there isn't too much traffic. You can choose to believe whether this is Covid related, or whether VM simply sell contracts until (and indeed after) the local network is at capacity, but the outcome is the same for now.  If it is "just Covid" then VM probably won't do anything about it, but the problem should go away when lockdown ends.  If there's more to it than Covid, the problem might improve a bit, but won't go away of its own accord. 

Nothing you can do to improve matters. In some areas VM do indeed undertake work to rejig the local networks to balance loads and eliminate over-utilisation. But sometimes that's either not possible, or judged uneconomic if there's a need to spend money on more equipment. And sadly VM won't ever admit the truth, so there will be a fault reference and a "fix date", but there's no way of knowing if that fix date is actually backed by an actual plan of action and programme of works. Quite often it seem not, and as the fix date approaches it is simply moved a month or two ahead.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos