Menu
lewisstanton
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Issues in gaming - large latency spikes

I've been having issues with varying speed for months with VM broadband - it's rarely (but on a few occasions) been unusable, so I've been living with it. I'm on the M600 package and most days, can average around 600 somewhere.

However, over the past week or so games with friends have become almost unplayable and my speed fluctuates wildly anywhere between 200mb and 650mb. I lag everywhere - it doesn't matter if they're hosting or I am, same issue. This has been confirmed in multiple games.

Over the past 24 hours I've been running the Broadband Quality monitor and it's showing huge latency spikes and some packet loss - they've calmed down over the past 10 hours or so but that was overnight.

I'm on a desktop pc and I'm wired directly in to the router with cat 6 cable.

Things I've checked/done;

1. Factory restored the router, multiple times
  2. All coaxial connections are connected properly and tight
  3. Only one wired device (my pc) connected, no loose ends
  4. Multiple ethernet cables tested

Screenshot 2021-02-14 122321.png

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/ccfbd43b58aa2fd4449005d2d5309d3d2222b80c

0 Kudos
addzy
Tuning in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Issues in gaming - large latency spikes

Yeah if you run a Bandwidth Quality Monitor test, you'll see from 8am to 10pm the latency is disgusting.

Virgin are just oversubscribed, and haven't bothered to increase the capacity of their network. It's been like this for over a month for me, they keep promising it will be "fixed soon", but I've yet to see any improvement and am starting to consider new providers.

0 Kudos
lewisstanton
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yeah my BMQ is all over the place - once again last night, it was terrible during the day and absolutely rock steady during the early hours.

My Broadband Quality Monitor 

While you're most likely right with over subscription, I hope not as I'm out of contract in just over a month and wouldn't have a hope of getting it fixed by then. Might end up having to look at new providers.

0 Kudos
lewisstanton
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Have just tried ringing up to speak to somebody - went through the fault route and it ran some "automatic tests" which just said "it looks like your router needs restarting", then advised me to come to the forums if that didn't work and hung up! 

What kind of customer service is that? 🤣

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Have you tried turning it off and on again? 

😂

razvanbolog
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

• I have the same issue like you. And I've had both cables and router swapped by engineer and still have the same problem 😂😂 so it's over utilisation problem... They keep selling without upgrading and now lockdown and everyone is working from home and stuff. They will just run around their trail rather than admiring it because they have to give you a discount 😂😂😂😂😂
0 Kudos