Menu
mimin1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Internet gaming impossible in peak times

Over the last month, in area 03, we've been getting worse and worse connection quality in evenings. By this I mean ping regularly spikes to 200ms+ and the odd bit of packet loss creeps in. This stinks of an overutilisation issue since it had been perfectly fine in the 3 months we'd had the service.

Some BQMs to consider:

27/11/2020 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/5de7e53fa0d1377c4c67c552751d98117b...

28/11/2020

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/fd9270cd660c807691af4dd34991dc50d0...

We've recently relegated the Hub 3 to Modem mode and put in an Asus RT-AC86U to see if removing as much of VM's dodgy routing code as possible would help, but no real difference. WiFi is miles better though!

Leaving VM isn't something we want to do, considering the alternative to the 500Mbps we get now is VDSL 37ish....Hopefully something VM can do here. I'm in trying to get in contact with the area manager who was able to get us installed after 4 years of arguing, but yet to get a response.

If I need to post the Hub modem stats then I can do that. Power and SNR levels look good, I'm trying to keep an eye on the PostRS errors to see if they are increasing steadily or not

mimin1
Tuning in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet gaming impossible in peak times

No responses from Mods at all? Shockingly awful

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Looks like another case.

My stock reply:The BQM shows a typical over-utilisation pattern - you see how it's very poor during normal waking hours, and then a lot better from about half past midnight to 9 am? Shows that the network and your hub are working OK when there isn't too much traffic. You can choose to believe whether this is Covid related, or whether VM simply sell contracts until (and indeed after) the local network is at capacity, but the outcome is the same for now.

Nothing you can do to improve matters. In some areas VM do indeed undertake work to rejig the local networks to balance loads and eliminate over-utilisation. But sometimes that's either not possible, or judged uneconomic if there's a need to spend money on more equipment. And sadly VM won't ever admit the truth, so there will be a fault reference and a "fix date", but there's no way of knowing if that fix date is actually backed by an actual plan of action and programme of works. Quite often it seem not, and as the fix date approaches it is simply moved a month or two ahead.

Your options:

1) Sit it out, and hope that either VM do carry out improvement works, bearing in mind that even with a fault reference and fix date quoted there may be no plans to do anything at all.

2) Get yourself a new ISP. If you're in a fixed term contract you'll probably have to use the VM complaints process (and almost certainly escalate for arbitration at CISAS ) to be released from contract without penalty.  If you need to do this, the grounds of your complaint is the poor performance, and your request fro release from contract without penalty is twofold: First the Consumer Rights Act 2015 that requires any consumer service to be provided with "reasonable skill and care", and second, the Ofcom Fairness Commitments, that states Customers’ services work as promised, reliably over time. If things go wrong providers give a prompt response to fix problems and take appropriate action to help their customers, which may include providing compensation where relevant. If providers can’t fix problems with core services they have promised to deliver within a reasonable period, customers can walk away from their contract with no penalty;

Of late we've had a further lockdown, and the start of the 2020 game and console release cycle, both of which have driven traffic up hugely.  If the over-utilisation started suddenly in the past month or so, there's a hope that it will fade away when those influences decline.   If you go down new ISP route, make sure you speak to a competent ISP (AAISP, uno, Aquiss, IDNet, CIX, Zen Internet) to establish your expected speed and whether there's any existing contention (over-utilisation) issues on the Openreach network around you.  Failure to do the first could land you with a big bill, failure to do the second could mean you jump ship and find the situation is no better, but your broadband is slower.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
mimin1
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately in option 2....very new customer having fought for 4 years to get service, we only got FTTC a year ago, before that was 3Mbps down, 0.3 up.

Virgin was great for the first couple of months, upgrading from 350 to 500....and then it all went to s**t unfortunately. 0 contact from the complaints team so you can bet it's been escalated to CISAS now.

From reading on here a lot of Croydon users are seeing the same problems so I find it hard to believe Virgin aren't working on improving things. Croydon is a fairly big place these days...lots of customers. 

0 Kudos