Menu
AndrewTYZ
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Internet Ping Spikes and months of complaining about it but no solution.

Hi, I'm back for another post, I made this post a while back post . I wanted to leave an update for people on that post but i though since I'm still having problems I'll make a new post cause this is really a thought excerize. 

Context. we have had virgin for 10 years and ethernet was good overall, wifi not so much but that's cause big house thicc walls. in march april we changed to the business line in hopes it would solve the whole thing.

Understanding this is probably the solution to the whole thing.

I was just about to send this message to the team that's helping me out with this. 

Why I also think replacing the modem and the wire isn’t the solution. 

The modem is new already. We have had a modem change multiples time on residential, those never solved the issue. A new wire was also installed a year ago. Unless that was improperly done, then is it worth that. Best to be safe then sorry at this point and continue with the plan.

I’m just not fully following it.

So what we need to understand.

With out fail. Every night after 1-2am the internet cools down and I’m able to game, stream my desktop ect, and I don’t see many issues with streaming videos. I also am subscribed to a virgin uk website that with my permission can track my internet and it give me data in a graph here is Thursday to Friday morning

AndrewTYZ_0-1620994068777.png

The spikes are perfectly accurate and displaying when I’m having issues. I had 2 instances when i was just talking with my friends on Discord before 2am one brought me to 800+ ping from a normal 39 and another to 300 ping all disappeared in no more than 2 minutes.

Then at 2:15am I played a game, and I had no issues, like there’s no problem at all.

So, something is without fail spiking the internet during the day every day, and I have 2 months of this data exactly as you can see above. I’m going to start posting to internet forms to see what others can say about this. I would be interested in following along with the current plan of going back to residential but will that just bring back another problem we had that the business line fixed.

I decided to hold off sending it cause I'm very bad at wording of emails. I'm very passive agressive but i don't mean to be. 

here's the current live Thinkbroadband

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/379f93622f67d3778c7aee6bc0b181bc4b508c86

I'll just pick random dates and screenshot and share them here for you to see the trend.

AndrewTYZ_1-1620994130162.png

AndrewTYZ_2-1620994137702.png

AndrewTYZ_3-1620994146239.png

AndrewTYZ_4-1620994156949.png

AndrewTYZ_5-1620994165678.png

AndrewTYZ_6-1620994180047.png

AndrewTYZ_7-1620994188216.png

AndrewTYZ_8-1620994197649.png

AndrewTYZ_9-1620994204884.png

AndrewTYZ_10-1620994211311.png

AndrewTYZ_11-1620994217210.png

AndrewTYZ_12-1620994225306.png

Also a meme video of my issue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud9D3P1sqe0

0 Kudos
risc19
Well-informed
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet Ping Spikes and months of complaining about it but no solution.

Hi,

Your area is oversubscribed, badly.

The good news is virgin are making lots of money in your area.

The bad news it that they are doing so by compromising everyone's connection in your area, including yours.

Option:1 Answer lots of daft questions on here and hope they eventually admit it's over utilized.

Then wait until the end of your natural life from them to actually fix it.

Option 2: Cancel your contract with virgin & use a different internet provider if one is available in your area.

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Lagfest Modem Mode
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The BQM shows a typical over-utilisation pattern, meaning more traffic than VM's local network can handle, usually because VM sell contracts until (and indeed after) the local network is at capacity.  Nothing you can do to improve matters. In some areas VM undertake work to rejig the local networks to balance loads and eliminate over-utilisation.  But sometimes/often that's either not possible, or judged uneconomic if there's a need to spend money on more equipment.

Looking at the BQM, that's a severe instance, so I'd expect there will be a fault reference and a fix date, but VM over promise and under deliver on this type of problem, so there's no way of knowing if that fix date is actually backed by an actual plan of action and programme of works (and forum staff can't see the detail to know if the fix date is real, or made up).  Quite often it seems the date is plucked out somebody's fundament, and as the fix date approaches it is simply moved a month or two ahead. Your options:

1) Sit it out, and hope that VM do carry out improvement works. There's little or nothing you can do to force VM to upgrade the network, nor to offer accurate information about the outlook.

2) Get yourself a new ISP. If you're in a fixed term contract you'll probably have to use the VM complaints process (and possibly escalate for arbitration at CISAS ) to be released from contract without penalty. If you need to do this, the grounds of your complaint is the poor performance, and your request fro release from contract without penalty is twofold: First the Consumer Rights Act 2015 that requires any consumer service to be provided with "reasonable skill and care", and second, the Ofcom Fairness Commitments, that states "Customers’ services work as promised, reliably over time. If things go wrong providers give a prompt response to fix problems and take appropriate action to help their customers, which may include providing compensation where relevant. If providers can’t fix problems with core services they have promised to deliver within a reasonable period, customers can walk away from their contract with no penalty."

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
AndrewTYZ
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for this message I'll keep this in mind.

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello AndrewTYZ

Sorry to hear this is still ongoing 

I am more than happy to take a look at this for you 
I will need to send you a private message to pass security 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ah sorry AndrewTYZ

I have realised that with you being in Dublin you would need to contact 

VirginmediaIE as we are the UK based side of the business 

Sorry I should have realised 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos