Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Inconsistent latency issue since mid March 2020 - Northamptonshire Area

This seems to be a widespread issue at the moment with Virgin Media but it's not shown anywhere outside of these forum posts, but I also have been experiencing latency spikes since people started working from home (i.e. mid March). Any time between 4pm and 11pm my internet connection latency is off the charts. A simple polling ping to anything outside my network is anything from 45ms to 100ms. As soon as it gets to around 11pm suddenly it becomes stable and sits at around 35ms. This screams congestion to me, typical download speeds are not affected but the latency spikes make any kind of gaming unplayable. 

Nothing has changed at home, I've had the same connection and hardware for the last 5 years with no issue until COVID. I don't want to be like everyone else and say i'm moving to another provider if it's not sorted. I'm just keen to know if and when it will be sorted as Virgin must know there's a widespread issue by now. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Inconsistent latency issue since mid March 2020 - Northamptonshire Area

Hi Dr_Iniquitous,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

I'm sorry you've having some issues with the service. 

I've had a look and can see there are no area issues affecting you, can you confirm if you're having a problem with both a wired and wireless connection?

Alex_Rm

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back Alex, regardless how i connect i have the same issues. I've performed a BQM over the last few days to show the problem exists regardless of how i'm connected. You can see latency spikes are constant from around 14:30 to 10:30pm. 

What else can i do to try and get this sorted? i'm almost certain it's a congestion issue due to it starting at the start beginning of lock down, prior to it starting this March I've had 5 years or so with little to no issues.

bqm.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Same thing for me in northampton area, even before lockdown was having a lot of latency issues, 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/77d9f9da7f8ad8c2a1ce20a2ed92d8fda0...

i was told on the phone there was an update around the 25th of april but hasnt changed anything still unplayable  a lot of the time and no replies about any fixes and its our own hardware that is the issue not infrastructure lacking with oversubscription 

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Common theme here. 

I don't have the latency issues you are having but my speeds on the ps4 between 4 and 11 drop from between 280 and 305 to about 44 mb. Like you I'm hoping it's congestion and Sony putting a throttle on their servers. What are you playing on at the moment that you are having issues with? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Poyzii, 

Yeah i'm seeing a lot of that "it'll be resolved on this date.." type thing, then inevitably that date passes and nothing has changed. Frustrating that we have to raise that our Broadband is an issue and we have jump through hoops to try and prove it. They should be monitoring and being a bit more pro-active. If i had known there was going to be congestion and a rough idea how long i would have it for. I would probably have made plans to stick around, but after this long in the dark despite calling, texting and not getting a single soul. The "Can you try and reset your router chat" has not even happened yet, so i'm so far away from actually getting anywhere with it.

There's pro's and cons though. Friends on BT and SKY in the same area as me have no latency issues at all, and it's £15 less per month. The only problem is 60Mbps is the most you i can get through them. 

At this point i'd kill for 60Mbps and a consistent latency. Time to make the switch i think.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Seems to be everything Nick. Rocket League is a big issue, probably more so because it has a latency variation detector that flashes up constantly. Every game is affected though. Anything that needs consistency is messed up. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I made the switch to BT the other day. I'm now getting 15mbps down but 30ms latency. I can't watch 4k streams whilst I game now but at least I can play a game without 200 - 900ms spikes every other second. I highly recommend you do the switch, i'd kill for a 60mbps bt connection right now.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks CleverTortoise,

We're you promised higher than 15Mbps when you ordered? or was that just the highest in the area?

Just wondering are they're saying 60 at checkout, but i'd be struggling with anything less.

Thanks, 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

So they had the speed guarantee of 9mb at check out and a max of 23 for my house. I really hoped for the upper limit, sadly it was not to be. They do have the 14 day cooling-off period, along as you don't get their tv or sport services. Read about the cooling-off period and if you feel comfortable, order this new line with BT, because VM and BT use different infrastructure you can have both services simultaneously. Test the waters and see how you deal with the 60Mbps connection, I am truly envious of your options!