Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Im after some help with 3rd party routers and qos systems for gaming

Hey all. 

I'm about to pull the trigger on an asus ax-88u router to add into my connection. I know the basics of qos and that it can reduce your total bandwidth but does anyone know how much by? 

What is everyones experiences with using qos on virgin media? Is it worth it to reduce gaming latency and ping? 

I'm a hardcore gamer so the least amount of ping the better but we also use Netflix a lot and download files a lot. Also upon downloading games does this interfere with qos? 

I'm concerned about making the bandwidth bad to combat latency. 

Can I have some input and views on qos vs merlins version of qos? 

And some views on the asus routers and their own qos systems.

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: Im after some help with 3rd party routers and qos systems for gaming

Depends on what the QoS does I've a issue with ZyXEL that will hopefully be addressed next year as when you download the small ACK that are sent back bypass the egress rate limit so if you download and upload at the same time you buffer in the non-QoS rate in the hub.

Mostly you need the limit the download to not buffer in the hub non-QoS rate limit by about -10Mb maybe more upload just under the rate limit set by the hub by -64Kb you can test this by http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest
you can run a ping -t 194.168.4.100 to see if it spikes.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BQM, Test for outgoing ports and L2TP VPN test
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Stick with ASUS, been using there routers since 2012. Never had a problem.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

The SNB test doesn't appear to be a full one but would assume the quad core 1.8ghz CPU would be able to run QoS and other advanced features with no throughput loss (as per my ac86u with only dual core and lower ram)

I've run both Asus stock and merlin and for the features I used on QoS I didn't notice any difference but yours may be a more complex setup. I use merlin at the moment as find it more stable especially for AI Mesh

The manual setting allows you to move traffic categories up and down the priority list to suit your needs eg gaming first, voip, then streaming etc.

How accurate these are is another question, but in your example of a game download that shouldn't affect netflix if you have a decent connection anyway. 4k does visibly  impact your latency so you do need to protect the gaming latency if they're happen g at the same time

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Ps beware vanilla auto gaming QoS. It will prioritise gaming but does not do anything on bandwidth limiting - you have to set that manually

You can prioritise devices but don't use that in our house as it appears would prioritise that device regardless of what it's being used for eg one of the kids uses his ps4 for watching netflix etc as much as gaming

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

So you're saying dont use auto qos (dynamic qos)? 

How do I set it so gaming is prioritized but still has plenty of bandwidth for downloading and streaming Netflix at 4k?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

sorry yes use dynamic QoS, but with manual bandwidth setting - there's a vanilla game setting and something called automatic bandwidth setting.  Vanilla game setting may not prioritise different traffic types below gaming the way you want, and the automatic bandwidth setting actually does nothing

As I understand it the Asus bandwidth setting doesn't reserve portions of bandwidth for different traffic types, rather it stops you overloading the connection and causing bufferbloat.  The point of Dynamic QoS is I think that you don't need to do bandwidth reservation or limiters on specific devices

Earlier I said I'd not noticed a difference in Merlin but had forgotten there is an extra queue discipline parameter that gives access to a different method (fq_codel) that supposedly is slightly better than that used by stock Asus

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/QoS-Queue-Disciplines 

Picture of settings which hopefully clarifies the above  - this is how I have them set for my 200/20 VM connection.  in the 2nd picture you can drag and drop traffic types higher or lower as you want them

Asus QoS.PNGBandwidth Priority.PNG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the information there.

File transfer on that setting, now is that transfer as in downloading and installing new games or does file transfer mean something else? 

I take it video and audio streaming would be things like Netflix? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re classification of something like a game download you can find debate on forums if it's classed as gaming traffic or file downloads.  I think it's closed source code from Trend Micro so doubt you'd get a definitive answer.  There are some monitors elsewhere in the Router UI that show the traffic totals by classification, so you may be able to experiment and figure it out e.g. with no other traffic running reset the monitors and do a game download and see if it appears in the game total or download total.  My households internet is too busy for me to attempt that !

Classifications.PNG

0 Kudos