Menu
Sachmet99
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I want to change my IP

So my problem is, that I have a contract with Virgin Media and I wanted to change my IP, I think I have been under DDOS attacks from the last week, I'm a professional streamer and my way of earning is to stream games, but due to the sudden disconnection I'm not able to do. Can someone from Virgin Media does it for me? I am stuck actually because still someone has my IP and I can't stream games. Is that true that IP changes automatically every 2 weeks? Please someone help me 

0 Kudos
Bradlewis
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: I want to change my IP

If its that serious (ie, you earn a living streaming with no other source of income) 

You need to call up and speak to them over the phone. I *think* you need a new hub from virgin to get a new IP. 

The forum team can take quite a few days to respond but you also need to make sure that is the issue and nothing else. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

ip might change after a few months - it might not - they will not change it for you thats not something they do

you can change it yourself by putting the hub into modem mode and adding your own router

other than that you are stuck

Tony
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

calling up and asking for a different IP address will not work, to avoid further issues could use a VPN for streaming..

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You might not be under DDOS attacks but if the upstream bandwidth is under heavy load in your area you can buffer in the hub.

You can setup a BQM and when you have nothing downloading or uploading see if it spikes.
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The IP address you have is dependent on the WAN MAC address of the equipment you are using. If your HUB is in router mode then it's the address of that and you can't change it. VM just won't do for you, I guess they simply don't have any procedure to do so. However if your hub is in modem mode - which it really should be, and you have your own router attached, then it uses the MAC address of your router's WAN interface.

So the trick here is to change the MAC address of your own router to something else - and this, of course, is reliant on your router having this ability. But if you can then what I'd do is the following.

Assume that the VM hub is already in modem mode, disconnect your equipment from it, power it down and just attach a PC using Ethernet to one of the LAN ports on it (it used to be that one the one closest to the cable input socket would work but I believe that now any of them will). Turn on the PC, let it fully boot up and then turn on the VM Hub and wait for it to start up - the bottom light on it should be a magenta/red colour to show that it has started in modem mode. Your PC should now have been given a public IP address - remember that your PC is completely open to the internet now with no firewall so don't leave it connected like this for too long. You might care to run a quick speed test while in this mode just to check what you get.

Now make a note of the MAC address of your network card, you will need to clone this address to the WAN interface of your router. Disconnect the PC, reconnect your router, with the new MAC address and reboot everything. You should now have a new WAN address (it'll be the same as what you had with just the PC connected, since as far as the VM system is concerned, that's still the case). Connect your PC back up to the router's LAN ports and you  should be good to go.

I don't know of any other way of doing this - short of getting a replacement HUB but unless it's faulty, VM won't just send you one out, and you have to be using a suitable third-party router.

John