Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

I need some advices please. Stuttering issue during online gaming.

Hi Guys

I am new here and English is not my native language, so please forgive my gramma issues, I will try my best to explain everything properly.

I am living in a rented house. My virgin hub is currently on the ground floor near my TV. My PC is on the first floor and I connect it to the hub via the TP-Link TL-PA7010PKIT powerline adapter. 

For normal internet use, including downloading large file and streaming 4K videos, everything feels fine, except multiple players fps gaming. In call of duty modern warfare, there will be a micro stutter every one or two minutes, it's like a latency spike. It is minor, I will say it is about 200-300ms of lag when it is lower than 50ms normally. It makes me feel very uncomfortable while playing fps games, it's like me keep tripping while running around. 

I am 99% sure that it is caused by internet connection rather than my PC as there will be a connection icon showing in the game when this micro stutter happens.

I have tried different power sockets that my PC can reach and different ports on the Hub, none of these seem to work. 

I am thinking this might be the aged power cables in the house as things are quite old in this house? Is that possible? All power sockets works just fine for delivering power though. But this micro stuttering is very minor and only can be felt in online fps games.

I have tried to ping google to test the stability. I tried to ping a few hundreds times and the result is quite consistent, average speed 30ms ish and highest is 40ms ish, no packet lost. Then I tried a longer test which last for around 1 hour and it did have some high lag up to 200ms and still no packet lost.

I am pretty sure there are some tiny problems of the internet connection but I don't know where is it and how to solve it.

This is not my house so I can't drill holes and run an ethernet cable across rooms.

Can I try the wifi mesh and connect my pc via wifi? I am willing to sacrifice a bit speed for stability.

What do you guy think? Any suggestions? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: I need some advices please. Stuttering issue during online gaming.

Hi Xiaohei

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. My apologies for the broadband issues. I've ran a check here and no issues are showing. It is giving me some advice to pass on however. The fault diagnostic check of the router and it's connected devices show that some devices are too close to the router. If this is the case, could some or even all be connected via Ethernet cable? If so, this would help with the bandwidth.

Also, it does state that some devices have a coverage issue. If you do have a smartphone. please download free of charge, the Virgin Media Connect app. When downloaded, you can run a wireless scan in the property. This will identify any coverage black spots in the property and help either optimise the connection or advise if a booster is needed. You can find out more here

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos