Menu
TheChill
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Huge latency spikes, massive packet loss

For the past three or four weeks I've been getting significant packet loss and latency spikes, during daytime and night time hours, to the point where I'm not getting much use out of my broadband connection.  This occurs on wired and wireless devices.  The router's network log shows a host of critical and warning entries.

I've attached the usual diagnostics images.  What should be my next course of action?

Downstream.jpgUpstream.jpgNetwork Log.jpg

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Huge latency spikes, massive packet loss

Posting screenshots...well, it's usually not a good idea for a whole range of reasons, but on this occasion you've got lucky in that they were approved by the mods, they are legible, and by chance you've included the giveaway info.  You are suffering a dose of upstream noise, and that completely mucks up the hub's synchronisation and performance, which hits latency, speed, and causes dropouts as well.  This is evident because your upstream channels should be running at 4 channels at 64 QAM, and they're dropping back to  32 and even 16 QAM, despite reasonable power levels.  A restart will usually give TEMPORARY improvement, but it doesn't address the underlying problem of noise (or upstream signal to noise), so it will recur.

I'll flag your post for the forum staff who can advise on any next steps.  You might want to pre-emptively set up a Broadband Quality Monitor, and that'll keep track of your connection quality.  The data won't show much for the first 24 hours, but if when VM staff look remotely, they see all stats in order, they may not want to arrange a technician visit, which is almost certainly needed, and then the BQM can be used as evidence of a connection quality problem.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Zoie_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi TheChill,

thanks for your post and welcome to our forums, 

I am sorry you are having issues with your service can you please set up a BQM please? so we can look at what your packet loss is like?

Thanks

Zoie

0 Kudos
TheChill
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello TheChill

Thanks for your post 

Sorry to hear about the issues with your service 

I can see after checking that we did have an outage in the area that may have been causing this issue

It was under reference number F00837028 and was resolved yesterday 

31/08/2020

How are things now, Can you please let me know if the issue remain

Gareth_L

0 Kudos