Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Huge Latency issues, Jitter and Ping on games, especially FIFA | PERIVALE, UB6 |

Hi 

In the last 2 weeks, a huge ping just killing my gaming experience. Ping goes from 40, 50 ms to 500ms in Fifa. The game is completely unplayable. I understand that usually during evenings, conditions are not perfect, but usually, they were at best average. However, now it is impossible to play. Ea just created a new tool to check your network conditions. So my network was rated as poor. Just check the Ping and Jitter. Horrible. I set up also a BQM today.

EA connection test.jpg

Please do something about it.

Regards

Kris

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Huge Latency issues, Jitter and Ping on games, especially FIFA | PERIVALE, UB6 |

BQm 18 11 2020.jpg

This is mine BQM from last day. As you can see clearly from 10.00 till 01.00 the next day PING is HUGE. Please respond and help me somehow

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Huge Latency issues, Jitter and Ping on games, especially FIFA | PERIVALE, UB6 |

I regret to say that the outlook is not good.  Read this.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Also looks like you've got a noise problem - see the severe yellow spikes between 1am and 7:30am ?  On a good connection you'd expect the latency fringing (that is inherent to DOCSIS cable technology) to not creep above 30ms.  The noise or power problem is potentially resolvable, but I wouldn't expect that to make any material difference to your day time and evening picture, and the prognosis with over-utilisation is far less good as per my linked comment. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So, the only way to have good connection is to chnage ISP, yes? Any ideas where I can compare broadband suppliers in my area?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The sad thing about VM and over-utilisation is that there could be a network upgrade in progress that'll fix your problem tomorrow.  But there's no way of knowing that because the company won't be open and honest, and in some cases they either do nothing, or the take many months (sometimes even years) to address the issue.  If you aren't prepared to wait in hope, then your best hope is to phone up somebody like uno, Zen Internet and AAISP, and ask them if they can tell you what speed they can deliver, and whether there's any known contention problems in your area.  The reason for selecting these three is that they have an excellent reputation for customer service and technical knowledge, and they're far more likely to be able and willing to help than if you phoned duffers like Vodafone, Sky or Talktalk, where the sales agent will promise the earth regardless of whether they can deliver.  Zen appear to have slipped a bit of late, but I've had very good experience with them in the past couple of years, dealing with them on behalf of elderly relatives - but you can at least email most of these smaller companies if you don't want to hang on the phone.

If these initial enquiries offer helpful advice and you decide you want to go ahead, you could go with that company, or you could do a bit more market assessment.  Use Uswitch or similar to see what the big companies are offering, bearing in mind they operate similar sales-led businesses to VM, with customer service an afterthought.  There will certainly be attractive offers, sometimes those just trap customers into an 18 month world of new pain - the other man's grass and all that.  Then head over to Trustpilot and ISPReview, and look at customer reviews for different ISPs before deciding.  In particular check out the list of smaller, customer focused ISPs on the right hand side of this page.  Although you may be thinking "but they all use Openreach, what's the difference?", there is a country mile between the ability of these companies to get the best from Openreach and the outcomes with (for example) Sky or Talktalk's abominable offshore call centres.   Worth knowing that most of the smaller ISPs offer twelve month minimum term contracts.

If you're not in a fixed term contract with VM, then I'd suggest that you get any Openreach connection in and working before cancelling VM.  That means you're not without a connection if there's delays or problems, and you can stick with VM if the Openreach connection proves to be a disaster, cancelling the new connection within the 14 day cooling off period if need be.  If you are in a fixed term contract you may have to fight to be released without penalty, and overlapping may be more of a challenge.  

Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I appreciate your honesty. I've been a customer on and off for many years - since the days of Cable & Wireless, then NTL, and it's almost as if since Liberty Global took over, things have just been a progressively downward spiral. Customer Service has taken a nosedive. Service Quality has also taken a nosedive as they put most of their money into marketing to onboard additional customers whilst failing to address the deteriorating service experienced by their existing customers. I can't help but feel like they've taken all of the toxic qualities and habits of American cable companies and imported those toxic qualities into Virgin Media.

I used to be able to speak to a Complaints team, and used to be able to speak to senior network technicians. I don't seem to be able to do any of those things now.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Andruser Youre awesome mate. Thanks for your opinnion and advice.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I know what you mean.  The sad thing is that VM could easily deal with over-utilisation in a much more constructive manner.  The first thing to recognise is that modest over-utilisation only affects latency-sensitive applications, so customers who don't do gaming or video calls may not even notice.  Which means a quiet and reactive strategy is fine, VM don't need loud hailer vans*.

For those who do notice, honesty is always the only good strategy:

1) Yes, we know there's a problem, we're sorry for the inconvenience, we do have plans in place to fix this through <insert planned action>  which will be resolved by <insert genuine planned fix date, not bare-faced lie>.  If <genuine planned fix date, not bare-faced lie> is too long to wait, we can release you from any fixed term contract without penalty.  If VM thought about it, many customers will happily wait on a solution if they can be confident that it will be put in place, and for any who choose to leave this would preserve goodwill, and leave an open door for win-back as and when the issue has been addressed.  

2) Yes, we know there's a problem, unfortunately we have investigated and there's no economic/technical route to resolving this.  We are sorry for the inconvenience caused, but we can release you from any fixed term contract without penalty.  Again, there's a potential goodwill win here, and on top of that waving goodbye to customers becomes part of an effective strategy for resolving the problem. 

And underlying all of this is the fact that operations and sales need to work together a whole lot better to avoid creating the problems in the first place.  Temporary Covid related traffic problems aside, most over-utilisation is caused by VM selling more contracts in an area than their network has the capacity to support.  If the business doesn't know that it's over-selling then it is incompetent, if it does know then it is wilfully marketing a service that it knows it can't deliver.  In any industry other than telecoms this would be punished by trading standards or an effective regulator.

* Although it's a nice thought, VM vans driving round the streets in the evening, with the loudhailer open "Attention!  Attention!  This is Virgin Media!  We have an over-utilisation emergency!  Please disconnect all adult content streaming now!  Unwashed gaming nerds, please cease your sad Twitch streaming now and get a life!  Web designers, video editors and Linux developers, please take your business elsewhere and saturate Openreach's bandwidth!  Couch potatoes, please give thought to others and only stream shows and movies in standard definition!"

0 Kudos