cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 useless with Ps4

Bakepot
Joining in

Just received the new hub 5 and set it up yesterday. Most things seem fine but the Internet is painfully slow on the ps4 upstairs. (100kbps!!!) for contrast my laptop in the room next door is getting 187Mbps.

I tried resetting the network on the ps4 and reconnecting but its still the same. 

Never had an issue before. I was using the hub 4 in modem mode with a separate router. Now wishing I never changed over.

Anybody have any advice? 

9 REPLIES 9

jem101
Superstar

Why not put the Hub 5 into modem mode and use your own router just as you did with the 4?

Well i hadn't really thought of doing that but does that not make getting the hub 5 completely pointless? I was hoping to just use the hub without the need for a separate router 

@Bakepot wrote:

Well i hadn't really thought of doing that but does that not make getting the hub 5 completely pointless? I was hoping to just use the hub without the need for a separate router 

Well no, it still functions as the cable modem, but, let me ask you, why did you think that the Hub 5 would be intrinsically superior to the 4? Didn’t fall for the marketing BS did you?

Yes using it as a modem only does make ‘upgrading’ a bit pointless, but, personally, I’ve declined upgrading from a 3 to a 4 and have done the same for the 5 - simply on the grounds that what I have works perfectly, replacing it will not help in any way, shape or form, and indeed at best it will be no better and possibly will be a lot worse.

All of the VM hubs have been found to be good as a modem but fairly mediocre is a router and the less said about their WiFi performance, the better - no reason to suppose that the 5 would break this winning streak!

OK, yes, I am being a bit facetious, but I promise you that any reasonable third-party router will absolutely be superior to what is supplied by VM

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

its a new product - its said to have finished its trial stage and is now in soft launch - whatever that means - search the forum for other posts on the 5 and you find many more with problems than those who are happy - its a long way from a working hub it would seem

so - yes put it into modem mode and you are back where you started - i assume as a modem it will be fine or dump it and go back to the 4

if you do that you will need to ring and have the 4 put back on your account - they huff and puff but usually will - just turn the 5 off when you ring and tell them its not working

Tony.
Sacked VIP

When will people learn. Any SH in router mode is useless for gaming. It just cant handle it.

To game on VM = Modem mode and your own router.

I have been using this setup since 2012, and i NEVER have an issue with online games.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS GT-AX6000 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?

Hi @Bakepot thanks for getting back to us and welcome to our community.

How are things going? Have you had to go back to the using a 3rd party router?

Regards

Lee_R

Hi @Lee_R

No I've not gone back actually. This is the only issue I'm have so im reluctant to go back and go to the effort of connecting all the devices again. I've brought the the ps4 down stairs and plugged it into the hub to see happens. This seems to give speeds of 150mbps. I've now unplugged it and connected it to WiFi while still downstairs and tested the connection which seems to be giving 80-90mbps.

I'll see what happens when I take it back upstairs but hopefully it keeps similar speeds. 

Hi Bakepot

Thanks for coming back to us. I've done a quick check for you today and all your downstream and upstream power levels are out of spec. 

I'll now send you a PM as we need an engineer visit to sort this out.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

paulr0
Just joined

I had the same problem was fixed by switching from searching for only 5ghz to all frequencies on the ps4