Menu
HankScorpio2009
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hub 4 ps4 Setting

I recently upgraded to the hub 4 and I keep getting the message licence cannot be verified application suspending in 15 minutes.  This has only happened since the upgrade and does not happen on my vodaphone WiFi through my phone.

So the new hub is interuping the connection to the Sony licence servers.

Can anyone suggest settings that would be good for the ps4

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 4 ps4 Setting

I hadn't heard of anything like this before, but a quick Google brings up this Reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/3xcav9/the_following_application_will_be_suspended_in_15/

Seems to suggest this issue occurs if you are game sharing and the PS4 can't connect to the Sony servers or your console is not set as the primary console for your PSN account.  If you legally own the game you are trying to play and have the console set as your primary then you shouldn't get this message

How is the PS4 connected to the Hub?  Wired is always better.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
HankScorpio2009
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Scott, yeah I'm not game sharing as suggested in that thread per se, I have multiple playststion systems in the house, the one the kids have upstairs is set to primary as this gives them access to online through my ps plus.  This has been the setup for at least a year though and only been an issue since I upgraded to the Hub 4.

The downstairs ps4 is not set to primary but is directly wired to the hub via ethernet

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

So based on the Reddit posts, your downstairs PS4 needs to regularly contact the Sony servers to confirm your eligibility to play each game. 

An issue with having two or more PS4s on your LAN is that they use the same ports for comms and will require your router to be very good at passing traffic to the correct console via a feature called Universal Plug and Play (UPnP).  The VM hubs have a checkered reputation when it comes to UPnP and it may be that traffic coming back from the Sony servers that should go to the downstairs PS4 is going to the correct port but on the upstairs PS4.   

One of the workarounds is to put one console in the DMZ and setup port forwarding for the other console.  I wouldn't recommend this as the console in the DMZ is exposed to the Internet with no firewall protection.

Some folks with multiple consoles in their household find it better to use a third party router with the hub in modem mode.  I have seen the Netgear router that I use recommended on Playstation and Xbox forums as good for multi console households, but I think most decent routers handle UPnP well these days.

I guess one way to test this theory is to take the primary console offline so that all PS4 traffic should get delivered to the downstairs PS4 and see if the licence message goes away.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos